Are These Logical Negations Correct?

• Thread starter charmedbeauty
  • Start date
In summary, the negations of the given statements are:1) The food is good or the service is excellent, and the price is low.2) Neither the food is good nor the service is excellent.3) Either the food is good or the service is excellent.4) The price is low, and the food is good or the service is excellent.
charmedbeauty

Homework Statement

Hi I just wanted to check that I'm doing these right... can someone please check the following negations.

"either the food is good and the service is excellent, or else the price is high"

negation:"The food is good or the service is excellent, and the price is low"

"Neither the food is good nor the service excellent.

negation: "either the food is good or the service is excellent"

"If the price is high, then the food is good and the service is excellent."

negation: "The price is low, and the food is good or the service is excellent"

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

above

Physics news on Phys.org
charmedbeauty said:

Homework Statement

Hi I just wanted to check that I'm doing these right... can someone please check the following negations.

"either the food is good and the service is excellent, or else the price is high"

negation:"The food is good or the service is excellent, and the price is low"

"Neither the food is good nor the service excellent.

negation: "either the food is good or the service is excellent"

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

above

Sometimes it helps to write these statements in predicate logic form (it makes it simpler for me to interpret at least). If you've never seen it before, the predicate word (the word after "is") is the letter in upper case, and the subject is in the subscript. Don't worry about it if you haven't seen it before.

1) ##(G_f \cdot E_s) \vee H_p##

2) ##\sim (G_f \vee E_s)##

3) ##H_p \supset G_f \cdot E_s##

You performed DeMorgan's Law incorrectly on the first one.

Number two looks good.

Number three doesn't look right to me, can you show your steps? (doesn't have to be in symbolic notation, it's just easier for me to see how everything changes around)

scurty said:
Sometimes it helps to write these statements in predicate logic form (it makes it simpler for me to interpret at least). If you've never seen it before, the predicate word (the word after "is") is the letter in upper case, and the subject is in the subscript. Don't worry about it if you haven't seen it before.

1) ##(G_f \cdot E_s) \vee H_p##

2) ##\sim (G_f \vee E_s)##

3) ##H_p \supset G_f \cdot E_s##

You performed DeMorgan's Law incorrectly on the first one.

Number two looks good.

Number three doesn't look right to me, can you show your steps? (doesn't have to be in symbolic notation, it's just easier for me to see how everything changes around)

So when I use symbolic notation do I have to change anything or can I just simplify use equiv. laws? because I thought the negation was making a T statement F and F statement T...

But just simplifying doesn't change the outcome does it?

I haven't done this before, but if you're negating a statement shouldn't it apply to the entire statement and not just the starting?

If high becomes low, then good food should be come bad food and excellent service should become horrible service.

I'm guessing negation is like putting a minus sign outside an equation:

-(3x^2 + 5x + 7) = -3x^2 -5x - 7I agree with scurty, the first and last one are not correct.

Also try to keep your statements in a similar manner:

If the price is high, then the food is good and the service is excellent.

Negation: If the price is ..., then the food is ... and service is ...

1. What is the definition of negation of a statement?

The negation of a statement is the opposite of the original statement. It is a logical operation that produces the opposite truth value of the original statement.

2. How is negation of a statement represented in symbols?

Negation of a statement is represented by the symbol "~" or "¬". For example, the negation of the statement "It is raining" would be represented as "~It is raining" or "¬It is raining".

3. What is the difference between negation and contradiction?

Negation is the opposite of a statement, while contradiction is a statement that is always false. In other words, negation can be true or false depending on the truth value of the original statement, but contradiction is always false.

4. How does negation of a statement affect its truth value?

Negation of a statement changes its truth value. If the original statement is true, then the negation is false. If the original statement is false, then the negation is true.

5. Can a statement and its negation both be true at the same time?

No, a statement and its negation cannot both be true at the same time. They are always opposites and have opposite truth values. If one is true, then the other must be false.