No Solution for 3x+2y=7 in Real Numbers

• Thread starter relyt
  • Start date
In summary, the first statement states that there exists an x in R such that for all y in R, 3x + 2y = 7. To make this statement negated, we would say that for each x in R, there exists a y in R such that 3x + 2y does not equal 7.
relyt
Statement:

([tex]\exists_{x} \in [/tex] R) ([tex]\forall_{y} \in [/tex] R) (3x + 2y = 7)

Trying to find negation statement. This is what I think it is:

([tex]\forall_{x} \in [/tex] R)([tex]\exists_{y} \in [/tex] R) (3x + 2y ≠ 7)

Is this close?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm having trouble reading this notation, but I'm assuming the first statement says "There exists an x in R such that for all y in R, 3x + 2y = 7."

To make this backwards, we would need to say, "For each x in R, there exists a y in R such that 3x + 2y does not equal 7," so if I have interpreted your notation correctly, I think your answer is correct.

Thanks, phreak. Yes, that is how it should read.

1. What does "no solution" mean in this context?

When we say that there is no solution for the equation 3x+2y=7 in real numbers, it means that there are no values of x and y that satisfy the equation when plugged in. In other words, the equation has no solution that makes it true.

2. Can you provide an example of an equation with no solution?

One example of an equation with no solution is 2x+3y=10. No matter what values we assign to x and y, the equation will never be true.

3. Why is it important to specify "in real numbers" when discussing solutions?

It is important to specify "in real numbers" because there may be other sets of numbers, such as complex numbers, where the equation 3x+2y=7 does have a solution. By specifying "in real numbers", we are limiting the scope to only the set of numbers that we commonly use in everyday mathematics.

4. Is it possible for an equation to have more than one solution?

Yes, it is possible for an equation to have more than one solution. In fact, most equations have infinitely many solutions. However, in the case of 3x+2y=7 in real numbers, there are no solutions at all.

5. Can we graph an equation with no solution?

Yes, we can graph an equation with no solution. In the case of 3x+2y=7, the graph would be a straight line with a slope of -3/2 passing through the point (0, 7/2). However, since there are no values of x and y that satisfy the equation, the graph would not intersect with any points on the x and y axes.