Negative Acceleration in Black Holes

In summary, in discussing the concept of a black hole and experiencing free fall, it is suggested that there may be a negative acceleration occurring prior to reaching the singularity. However, this concept is not fully understood and may be related to the idea of experiencing a centrifuge where acceleration decreases as an object falls towards the center.
humuus
Negative acceleration...

I am not to sure if anyone knows this and I am sure this is testing a physicists' best mettle...so here goes. When you are experiencing free fall upon entering a black hole...at the peak of the vortex or at some prior to singularity, wouldn't you be experiencing negative acceleration...?:rofl:

Astronomy news on Phys.org
You mean you must start to accelerate in a direction away from the singularity because you must come to a stop at the singularity?

As I understand it there's no reason for this to happen, because you (or the particles you're made of) will only experience a finite amount of time, so you can continue to accelerate towards the singularity, and you don't exist after you hit it.

That's the problem though, the time you speak of is not in terms of the 'time' we understand it to be. It's not an experiential process as we know it to be.
I think what I am trying to understand is that there is no meaningful accerleration towards singularity but a negative acceleration that occurs prior to the point of singularity. There is no stoppage but a constant continuum of matter

There is no problem with the concept of "time". Proper time will continue to be defined, so for an observer falling toward the singularity he can just keep looking at his watch without problem (ignoring the fact that the watch gets stretched beyond factory tested limits).

humuus said:
I am not to sure if anyone knows this and I am sure this is testing a physicists' best mettle...so here goes. When you are experiencing free fall upon entering a black hole...at the peak of the vortex or at some prior to singularity, wouldn't you be experiencing negative acceleration...?:rofl:

while talking about a black hole we consider a centrifuge in the place of a black hole. as u knw dat an object at the extreme end or at the circumference of the centrifuge experiencees maximum accleration. its accleration reduces as the object falls in ! so at the centre the accleration is zero. hence we can get retardation !(negative accleration )

1. What is negative acceleration in black holes?

Negative acceleration in black holes refers to the phenomenon where an object or particle entering a black hole experiences a deceleration or slowing down of its velocity. This happens due to the extreme gravitational force exerted by the black hole, which pulls the object towards it.

2. How is negative acceleration in black holes measured?

Negative acceleration in black holes can be measured using the concept of escape velocity. This is the minimum speed an object needs to escape the gravitational pull of a celestial body. In the case of a black hole, the escape velocity is greater than the speed of light, indicating a strong negative acceleration.

3. Can negative acceleration in black holes be observed?

No, negative acceleration in black holes cannot be observed directly as it occurs within the event horizon, the point of no return for any object entering a black hole. However, its effects can be observed through the bending of light and the distortion of space-time around the black hole.

4. How does negative acceleration in black holes affect nearby objects?

Negative acceleration in black holes can have a significant impact on nearby objects, as they are pulled towards the black hole at an accelerating rate. This can lead to the disruption and destruction of objects, such as stars, within the vicinity of the black hole.

5. Can negative acceleration in black holes be reversed?

No, negative acceleration in black holes cannot be reversed. The intense gravitational pull of a black hole is a result of the massive amount of matter and energy contained within it, making it impossible to reverse the effects of negative acceleration once an object enters the event horizon.