Negative cosmological constant from string theory

In summary, the conversation discusses the idea that string theory predicts a negative or zero cosmological constant. However, this is not a definite result and there is no clear way to get de Sitter space from string theory. The problem may be related to supersymmetry and certain signs of the cosmological constant not being allowed. References to further explanations and discussions are given.
Demystifier
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
Allegedly, string theory (in it's simplest form) predicts that cosmological constant must be negative (or zero). Can someone explain where does this result come from? A reference would also be welcome.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
There is no such "result".

mitchell porter said:
There is no such "result".
Not even in older literature? Then how to interpret the statement by Witten
"In fact, classical or not, I don’t know any clear-cut way to get de Sitter space from string theory or M-theory. This last statement is not very surprising given the classical no go theorem. For, in view of the usual problems in stabilizing moduli, it is hard to get de Sitter space in a reliable fashion at the quantum level given that it does not arise classically."
in http://lanl.arxiv.org/abs/hep-th/0106109 ?

Last edited:
Likes ohwilleke
String theory in AdS is a modern topic.

I'm not up to date to all the stringy constructions of backgrounds, but I think the problem you're addressing is deeper: it has to do with supersymmetry. E.g., pure N=1 D=4 supergravity can be constructed in a anti-deSitter background, but not a deSitter background. The reason is that the Jacobi identities of the underlying algebra don't allow for one particular sign of the cosmological constant (corresponding to dS).

Likes Demystifier
haushofer said:
I'm not up to date to all the stringy constructions of backgrounds, but I think the problem you're addressing is deeper: it has to do with supersymmetry. E.g., pure N=1 D=4 supergravity can be constructed in a anti-deSitter background, but not a deSitter background. The reason is that the Jacobi identities of the underlying algebra don't allow for one particular sign of the cosmological constant (corresponding to dS).
Thanks! Can you give a reference for that?

Hey, you changed the question from "must be negative" to "must be negative (or zero)". For the record, my answer pertained to the original version.

Likes Demystifier
And you edited comment #3 to add the quote by Witten.

Likes Demystifier
Demystifier said:
Thanks! Can you give a reference for that?
See e.g. Freedman& Van Proeyen their sugra textbook, page 251 onward. My supervisor Eric Bergshoeff also published on construction of deSitter sugra on the arxiv, e.g.

https://arxiv.org/abs/1507.08264

but I haven't read it.

Likes Demystifier

What is a negative cosmological constant in string theory?

A negative cosmological constant in string theory is a theoretical concept that arises from the equations of the theory. It represents a type of energy that is thought to drive the accelerated expansion of the universe. It is also known as dark energy and is believed to make up about 70% of the total energy in the universe.

What is the significance of a negative cosmological constant in string theory?

The presence of a negative cosmological constant in string theory has significant implications for the structure and evolution of the universe. It is believed to be responsible for the accelerated expansion of the universe, which has been observed through various cosmological experiments and observations. Additionally, it plays a crucial role in the formation of galaxies and other large-scale structures in the universe.

How is a negative cosmological constant derived from string theory?

A negative cosmological constant is derived from string theory through a complex mathematical framework that combines elements of quantum mechanics and general relativity. It is an essential part of the equations of string theory and is necessary to reconcile the theory with observations of the universe.

What are some potential consequences of a negative cosmological constant in string theory?

The presence of a negative cosmological constant in string theory has several potential consequences. It could help explain the observed accelerating expansion of the universe and provide a solution to the cosmological constant problem. It could also impact the formation and evolution of structures in the universe and potentially lead to new insights into the nature of dark energy and its role in the universe.

Are there any current experiments or observations that support the existence of a negative cosmological constant in string theory?

Yes, there are several experiments and observations that support the existence of a negative cosmological constant in string theory. These include measurements of the expansion rate of the universe, the cosmic microwave background radiation, and the large-scale structure of the universe. Additionally, many predictions of string theory, including the presence of a negative cosmological constant, have been confirmed through experiments at the Large Hadron Collider and other particle accelerators.