What Causes a Negative Drag Coefficient in Projectile Trajectory?

In summary, the conversation is about a video capture project that involves fitting the expected trajectory of a projectile with quadratic drag. The issue is that in order for the expected trajectory to fit the actual trajectory of the ball, a negative drag coefficient is needed. The other person suggests checking for a sign error in the equation or model being used. The person also asks if there is an analytical solution for the motion with drag and what the formula is for inputting the drag coefficient. The question is raised if the projectile is actually moving faster than predicted by freefall.
Magpye17
Hi,
I am working on a video capture project in which i am videoing the projectile of a ball that is being thrown in the air and trying to fit it to a curve for the expected trajectory of a projectile with quadratic drag.I am running into the issue that in order for my expected trajectory to fit the actual trajectory of the ball the drag coefficient must be negative. Why is that?

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you checked that you don't have a sign wrong somewhere else?

If you show your equation, there is a change that someone may figure out the problem.
Do you have an analytical solution for the motion with drag?

boneh3ad said:
Have you checked that you don't have a sign wrong somewhere else?
I am manipulating the data on an expected drag curve and in order to get my data to fit the curve i had to input a negative drag coefficient

Into what do you input that drag coefficient? Do you have a formula?

Magpye17 said:
I am manipulating the data on an expected drag curve and in order to get my data to fit the curve i had to input a negative drag coefficient

Right so my question is related to that curve. Clearly that curve comes from some sort of model equation, so have you made sure the signs are correct in that model. A negative drag coefficient in a model where the signs were correct would imply that your projectile is moving faster than what is predicted by freefall. Is that actually the case here?

1. What is a Negative Drag Coefficient?

A negative drag coefficient, also known as a negative lift coefficient, is a measure of the aerodynamic force acting on an object traveling through a fluid, such as air or water. It indicates that the fluid exerts a force on the object in the opposite direction of its motion, causing it to slow down rather than speed up.

2. How is Negative Drag Coefficient calculated?

Negative drag coefficient is calculated by dividing the drag force by the product of the fluid density, the object's characteristic area, and the square of its velocity. It is typically represented by the symbol Cd, and a negative value indicates a force acting opposite to the direction of motion.

3. What causes a Negative Drag Coefficient?

A negative drag coefficient is primarily caused by the shape of an object and its orientation relative to the fluid flow. Objects with aerodynamic shapes, such as airplane wings, are designed to have a negative drag coefficient in order to create lift and facilitate flight. However, certain factors such as turbulence or angle of attack can also contribute to a negative drag coefficient.

4. How is Negative Drag Coefficient used in engineering and design?

Negative drag coefficient is an important concept in engineering and design, particularly in the fields of aerodynamics and hydrodynamics. It is used to evaluate the performance of objects in fluid flow and to optimize designs for maximum efficiency. For example, a negative drag coefficient is desirable for airplanes to reduce fuel consumption and increase speed.

5. Can Negative Drag Coefficient ever be positive?

While a negative drag coefficient is typically desired for efficient fluid flow, it is possible for it to be positive in certain situations. This can occur when the angle of attack is too high or when the fluid flow is turbulent. In these cases, the object experiences a net force in the direction of motion, causing it to accelerate rather than decelerate.