1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Negative electrode and mass

1. Sep 16, 2010 #1

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    If 3.00 10-3 kg of gold is deposited on the negative electrode of an electrolytic cell in a period of 2.62 h, what is the current in the cell during that period? Assume the gold ions carry one elementary unit of positive charge.

2. Relevant equations
    delta Q/delta T
    n*q*vd*A: n = moles, q=charge, vd=drift speed and A= cross sectional area of conductor.

3. The attempt at a solution

I'm having a bit trouble starting this because I think we have to derive an equation since we only have mass and the time, and nothing else given. I tried to put the two equations posted together, but it did not look right nor make sense. Can someone give a hint on how to start this?
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 17, 2010 #2

Staff: Mentor

Google Faraday's law of electrolysis.

But with some thinking you should be able to solve it on your own. There is one electron per atom - how many electrons per mole?
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 13, 2013
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook