Negative energy in griffiths

In summary, The concept of bound and scattering states in the delta potential is defined by the sign of the particle's energy, with positive energy corresponding to scattering states and negative energy corresponding to bound states. This convention is due to the addition of a constant term to the potential, ensuring that the potential at infinity is zero. The energy difference between the particle and the maximum value of the potential determines whether the state is bound or scattering.
CPL.Luke
so I am studying the delta potential now and I notice that griffiths defines scattering and bound states as cases where E>0 and E<0 respectively. but I have to ask if you have a positive potential, then how an you have negative energy?

Physics news on Phys.org
Isn't this another of the many cases in which it is completely arbitrary where you define the energy to be zero, since only the difference between successive energy levels has any physical meaning?

CPL.Luke said:
so I am studying the delta potential now and I notice that griffiths defines scattering and bound states as cases where E>0 and E<0 respectively. but I have to ask if you have a positive potential, then how an you have negative energy?

Positive potential corresponds to repulsion, so it cannot have bound (negative energy) states. All attractive potentials (e.g., in the hydrogen atom) are negative.

Eugene.

this is where I'm wondering wether or not he was just demonstrating the concept of a bound state by using a negative energy value (the potential where he did this most blatantly was the positive dirac delta potential) however its a common theme in the succesive sections for him to say that a scattering state is a state with positive energy, and a bound state is one with negative energy.

as I didn't like this definition I've been using one where a bound state is any state where the energy of the particle would be classically unable to exceed the potential barrier.

for instance in the positive step potential if the the wavicle has energy less than v then it will exponentially decay after the step, whic would be the "bound state" whereas the scattering state would be the one with energy greater than v.

There is a convention that a (inconsequential) constant term is aded to any potential, so as to make sure that the value of the potential at infinity is zero. Only with this condition it is correct to say that bound states have negative energy and scattering states have positive energy.

Eugene.

meopemuk said:
There is a convention that a (inconsequential) constant term is aded to any potential, so as to make sure that the value of the potential at infinity is zero. Only with this condition it is correct to say that bound states have negative energy and scattering states have positive energy.

Quite so. More generally, and without caring about where the zero of your energy axis is, it is [itex]E-V_{\rm max}[/itex] that must be positive (free state) or negative (bound state), where [itex]V_{\rm max}[/itex] is the maximum value of the potential.

1. What is negative energy in Griffiths?

Negative energy in Griffiths refers to the concept of negative energy states in quantum mechanics. These states have negative values for the energy of a particle, which is counterintuitive since energy is typically thought of as a positive quantity. However, in certain systems and scenarios, negative energy states can arise and have important implications for understanding the behavior of particles.

2. How are negative energy states described in Griffiths' book?

In his book Introduction to Quantum Mechanics, David J. Griffiths describes negative energy states as being "unphysical" in the sense that they cannot be observed or measured directly. Instead, they are inferred from their effects on other physical quantities, such as the energy of the system as a whole.

3. Can negative energy states exist in reality?

Yes, negative energy states can exist in certain physical systems. One example is the Dirac sea model, which describes a sea of negative energy states that are filled by electrons in an atom. This concept is also used in quantum field theory, where the existence of negative energy states is necessary to account for the behavior of particles and their interactions.

4. What are some potential applications of understanding negative energy in Griffiths?

Understanding negative energy states can have important implications for fields such as quantum computing and quantum information processing. Negative energy states can also play a role in understanding the behavior of particles in extreme environments, such as black holes, where the effects of gravity are significant.

5. How does the concept of negative energy in Griffiths relate to the uncertainty principle?

The uncertainty principle, which states that there is a limit to the precision with which certain pairs of physical quantities can be known simultaneously, is closely related to negative energy states. This is because the existence of negative energy states introduces an uncertainty in the energy of a system, which is one of the quantities considered in the uncertainty principle.