Simplifying a Fraction with Negative Exponents

In summary: Ah, I see now said the blind man :D Those two's can be reduced to 1's, totally overlooked it, I just wrote the equation making stuff up to use as an example and didn't take the time to see that. Thanks for the heads up, my mistakes are always overlooking the simpliest things sometimes. I always am striving to get better at that.
LearntIsFun
I'm wondering something when you have a equation:(Of course "^" represents to the power)

4e^4(j^-3)

I know how to get rid of the negative exponents to get:

4e^4j^-3

Question comes with bringing the bottom fraction up to multiply and simplify. Do you just have to take the reciprocal of the fraction to multiply or just bring the fraction as is up to multiply because if you take the reciprocal, do the exponents go negative per the rules?

Appreciate the help.

Physics news on Phys.org
If I understand your original writing, the first fraction is

[tex]
\frac{4e^4 j^{-3}}{\left(\dfrac{2d^{-3}f^2}{2c^2j^{-2}}\right)}
[/tex]

If this is correct, your second fraction is only partially correct you wrote

[tex]
\frac{4e^4 j^{-3}}{\left(\dfrac{j^2 f^2}{\left(2d^3\right) \left(2c^2\right)}\right)}
[/tex]

Look at your original work and decide whether you really mean to write [tex] (2c^2)(2d^3)[/tex] in this expression.

Regardless of that, the answer to the second portion of your question is that you need to perform the classic ''invert and multiply'' to deal with the bottom fraction. As an example,

[tex]
\frac{x^5 y^{-6}}{\left(\dfrac{x^2}{y^2}\right)} = \left(x^5 y^{-6}\right) \cdot \frac{y^2}{x^2} = x^{5-2} y^{-6+2} = x^3 y^{-4} = \frac{x^3}{y^4}
[/tex]

Be aware that there are multiple routes that can be taken to simplify fractions like these, and while the workings of two or three different people may seem to be different, if all rules are followed correctly the same answer will result.

So, just to clarify, when taking the reciprocal of the fraction and multiplying it, the exponents still stay positive regardless of the flip, right?

Look at your original work and decide whether you really mean to write in this expression.

Also, not sure about the bottom 2d^3(2c^2) part. Looks correct to me as of right now my knowledge of change negative exponents, but since you're brining it up, it must be incorrect somehow, appreciate your help! :)

Your first question
LearntIsFun said:
So, just to clarify, when taking the reciprocal of the fraction and multiplying it, the exponents still stay positive regardless of the flip, right?

has as its answer a resounding YES .

Now for your second question.
LearntIsFun said:
Also, not sure about the bottom 2d^3(2c^2) part. Looks correct to me as of right now my knowledge of change negative exponents, but since you're brining it up, it must be incorrect somehow, appreciate your help! :)

The denominator of the original compound fraction is

[tex]
\frac{2d^{-3} f^2}{2c^2 j^{-2}}
[/tex]

If the entire problem were to simplify just this fraction , what would you do with the pair of [tex] 2 [/tex]s ?

Ah, I see now said the blind man :D Those two's can be reduced to 1's, totally overlooked it, I just wrote the equation making stuff up to use as an example and didn't take the time to see that. Thanks for the heads up, my mistakes are always overlooking the simpliest things sometimes. I always am striving to get better at that.
-LearntIsFun! :)

Last edited:
Your first question
LearntIsFun said:

has as its answer a resounding YES .

Now for your second question.
LearntIsFun said:

The denominator of the original compound fraction is

[tex]
\frac{2d^{-3} f^2}{2c^2 j^{-2}}
[/tex]

If the entire problem were to simplify just this fraction , what would you do with the pair of [tex] 2 [/tex]s ?

1. What is a negative exponent?

A negative exponent is a mathematical notation that represents the reciprocal of a number raised to a positive exponent. It is written as a superscript to the right and slightly below the base number, and indicates the number of times the base should be divided by itself.

2. How do I solve a negative exponent?

To solve a negative exponent, you can apply the rule that states that any number raised to a negative exponent is equal to the reciprocal of the number raised to the positive exponent. For example, x-3 is equal to 1 / x3. You can also rewrite the expression using positive exponents and then solve it using standard exponent rules.

3. What is the difference between a negative exponent and a negative number?

A negative exponent and a negative number are two different mathematical concepts. A negative exponent is a notation used in exponential expressions to represent the reciprocal of a number, while a negative number is a real number that is less than zero. They are not interchangeable and should not be confused with one another.

4. Can a negative exponent be a decimal?

Yes, a negative exponent can be a decimal. The exponent can be any real number, including decimals. For example, 2-0.5 is equal to 1 / √2.

5. Why do negative exponents result in fractions?

Negative exponents result in fractions because they indicate the number of times the base should be divided by itself. When the base is divided by itself, the result is always 1. Therefore, a negative exponent essentially represents the reciprocal of the base raised to a positive exponent, which is why it results in a fraction.