Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Negative Feedback Mechanisms

1. Apr 18, 2004 #1
    Hello, I'm doing some work for school and have a question about glucose regulation in the human body (I hope this is the right place to post this, I apologise if it isn't!)

In glucose regulation, what are the receptors that detect the change in glucose levels? I have read some worksheets given to me by the teacher that simply state "When glucose levels rise, insulin is secreted by the alpha cells of the islets of langerhans" etc., but they don't mention what the receptors are.

Any help would be much appreciated :smile:
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 18, 2004 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, control of glucose concentration takes place in the pancreas where endocrine cells (the islets of Langerhals) secrete the antagonistic hormones insulin and glucagon. The pancreas also has glucose receptor cells, they must have a molecule in their plasma membrane that can bind glucose and relay a signal over the membrane to the inside of the cell. I think it is a G protein-coupled receptor, but I'm not sure.
  4. Apr 18, 2004 #3
    Thankyou Monique!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?