Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Negative force

1. Dec 4, 2007 #1
    negative force!!!!

can anyone in this world,tell me what is negative energy....
    how does that help in transportation...... heard that if it really existed,we can travel large distances in few seconds

please do help folks
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 4, 2007 #2
    Errr afaik theres no reason for negative energy to exist. Closest thing i can think of is antimatter which annihilates matter to produce lots of useable energy
  4. Dec 4, 2007 #3

Science Advisor

Negative energy is difficult to prove because, like a black hole, it can never be directly observed. However, experiments have shown as conclusively as possible that it is real. That is to say, certain QM equations predicted it, and described some of its predicted behaviors. Measurements from supercoliders match the modeled predictions of what those measurements should be if negative energy exists. Here's a link to an article discussing it. Basically, if you take a wave that approaches zero energy at its troughs, then compress that wave so that the peaks get taller and the troughs get deeper, then the lowpoint of the wave can get below zero.

However, this means that negative energy probably can't be used for stabalizing wormholes and whatnaught. Notice that one of the rules of negative energy is that it can only exist as part of a system that contains more positive energy, so the net result will always be possitive.
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2007
  5. Dec 8, 2007 #4
    I have a question. The paper link seems ? to deal with the situation of interaction of "spinors" only--not sure. But, here is my question which relates to your comment that the "net" result of interaction of positive and negative energy within a system will always be positive energy.

Suppose we take a spin 1/2 spinor particle with three mass units (we call it M-3) that has POSITIVE energy, with M = matter, and 3 = # mass units. Now, we attempt to form union with an antimatter particle that is a spin 1 vector that has NEGATIVE energy (we call this A-2). So, what would be the Lagrangian for this mental exercise: (M-3) + (A-2) = [M-3 ~ A-2] where ~ is a strong force that involves both positive and negative energy interaction ? Note that the situation involves interaction of matter spinor with antimatter vector having different spin and mass.

The situation meets your criterion that the "net" energy of the interaction must be positive. If this is not possible interaction, I would like to know the details why not. Thanks for any comments.
  6. Jan 19, 2008 #5

Science Advisor

I should warn you that some your question was out of my depth. However, the part about the antimatter partical with negative energy is a sticking point. An antimatter partical, like any other partical, must have positive energy.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?