Unveiling the Mystery of Negative Energy and Transportation

In summary: But, because it has negative energy, it can interact with another particle that has positive energy. This interaction creates a force that tries to push the two particles together. But because they have different masses, the force is always stronger on the antimatter particle, and they eventually merge.
ash_win
negative force!

can anyone in this world,tell me what is negative energy...
how does that help in transportation... heard that if it really existed,we can travel large distances in few seconds

please do help folks

Physics news on Phys.org
Errr afaik there's no reason for negative energy to exist. Closest thing i can think of is antimatter which annihilates matter to produce lots of useable energy

Negative energy is difficult to prove because, like a black hole, it can never be directly observed. However, experiments have shown as conclusively as possible that it is real. That is to say, certain QM equations predicted it, and described some of its predicted behaviors. Measurements from supercoliders match the modeled predictions of what those measurements should be if negative energy exists. http://www.compukol.com/mendel/articles/Quantum_Negative_Energy_Problem.pdf" to an article discussing it. Basically, if you take a wave that approaches zero energy at its troughs, then compress that wave so that the peaks get taller and the troughs get deeper, then the lowpoint of the wave can get below zero.

However, this means that negative energy probably can't be used for stabalizing wormholes and whatnaught. Notice that one of the rules of negative energy is that it can only exist as part of a system that contains more positive energy, so the net result will always be possitive.

Last edited by a moderator:
LURCH said:
Negative energy is difficult to prove because, like a black hole, it can never be directly observed. However, experiments have shown as conclusively as possible that it is real. That is to say, certain QM equations predicted it, and described some of its predicted behaviors. Measurements from supercoliders match the modeled predictions of what those measurements should be if negative energy exists. http://www.compukol.com/mendel/articles/Quantum_Negative_Energy_Problem.pdf" to an article discussing it. Basically, if you take a wave that approaches zero energy at its troughs, then compress that wave so that the peaks get taller and the troughs get deeper, then the lowpoint of the wave can get below zero.
However, this means that negative energy probably can't be used for stabalizing wormholes and whatnaught. Notice that one of the rules of negative energy is that it can only exist as part of a system that contains more positive energy, so the net result will always be positive.
I have a question. The paper link seems ? to deal with the situation of interaction of "spinors" only--not sure. But, here is my question which relates to your comment that the "net" result of interaction of positive and negative energy within a system will always be positive energy.

Suppose we take a spin 1/2 spinor particle with three mass units (we call it M-3) that has POSITIVE energy, with M = matter, and 3 = # mass units. Now, we attempt to form union with an antimatter particle that is a spin 1 vector that has NEGATIVE energy (we call this A-2). So, what would be the Lagrangian for this mental exercise: (M-3) + (A-2) = [M-3 ~ A-2] where ~ is a strong force that involves both positive and negative energy interaction ? Note that the situation involves interaction of matter spinor with antimatter vector having different spin and mass.

The situation meets your criterion that the "net" energy of the interaction must be positive. If this is not possible interaction, I would like to know the details why not. Thanks for any comments.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rade said:
I have a question. The paper link seems ? to deal with the situation of interaction of "spinors" only--not sure. But, here is my question which relates to your comment that the "net" result of interaction of positive and negative energy within a system will always be positive energy.

Suppose we take a spin 1/2 spinor particle with three mass units (we call it M-3) that has POSITIVE energy, with M = matter, and 3 = # mass units. Now, we attempt to form union with an antimatter particle that is a spin 1 vector that has NEGATIVE energy (we call this A-2). So, what would be the Lagrangian for this mental exercise: (M-3) + (A-2) = [M-3 ~ A-2] where ~ is a strong force that involves both positive and negative energy interaction ? Note that the situation involves interaction of matter spinor with antimatter vector having different spin and mass.

The situation meets your criterion that the "net" energy of the interaction must be positive. If this is not possible interaction, I would like to know the details why not. Thanks for any comments.

I should warn you that some your question was out of my depth. However, the part about the antimatter particle with negative energy is a sticking point. An antimatter particle, like any other particle, must have positive energy.

What is negative energy?

Negative energy is a theoretical concept in physics that refers to a type of energy that has a negative value. It is often described as the opposite of positive energy and is thought to have effects opposite to those of positive energy.

How is negative energy related to transportation?

Negative energy has been proposed as a potential solution for transportation, specifically in the form of negative mass, which could lead to the development of anti-gravity technology. This would allow for faster and more efficient transportation methods, such as levitating vehicles.

Is negative energy real?

At this point, negative energy is still a theoretical concept and has not been proven to exist in the physical world. However, there have been some experiments that have shown potential evidence for the existence of negative energy, but more research is needed to confirm its existence.

What are the potential benefits of using negative energy for transportation?

If negative energy can be harnessed and used for transportation, it could potentially revolutionize the way we travel. It could lead to faster and more efficient modes of transportation, reduce the need for fossil fuels, and have a positive impact on the environment.

Are there any potential risks associated with using negative energy for transportation?

As with any new technology, there are potential risks associated with using negative energy for transportation. These could include the development of unstable or unsafe transportation methods, potential negative effects on the environment, and ethical concerns about the use of such technology.