1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Negative Gain and Resistance

1. Mar 21, 2015 #1

Zondrina

Homework Helper

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Calculate ##R_S## given the expression:

$$A_v = - \frac{g_m (R_L || R_D)}{1 + g_m R_S}$$

The parameters ##g_m = 1.292 \frac{mA}{V}##, ##R_L = 180 k \Omega##, ##R_D = 18 k \Omega##, ##A_v = 5 \frac{V}{V}##.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

My question is about the negative sign. When I go to compute ##R_S##, do I pretend the negative sign isn't there or something? If I leave the negative sign in the calculation I get:

##R_S = - 4.05 k \Omega##

Resistances must be positive, so the above does not make physical sense.

If I pretend the negative sign isn't there then I get:

##R_S = 2.5 k \Omega##

What is the proper way to compute the resistance?

EDIT: I believe the gain should be ##A_v = -5 V/V## even though it was given as 5, so the resistance ##R_S = 2.5 k \Omega## should be correct.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 21, 2015 #2
    This is for a common-source amplifier with source resistance ##R_S##? If so, then you're right about ##A_v##.

4. Mar 23, 2015 #3

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Generalizing post 2 a bit, I'd venture that the circuit is an inverting stage of some kind, be it MOSFET, JFET, BJT, vacuum tube, etc. - based.

5. Mar 23, 2015 #4
    I just guessed it was FET-based from the subscripts, i.e. D, S, L for drain, source, load.

6. Mar 23, 2015 #5

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Sure.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted