Exploring the Negative GPE of Satellites

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between the mass of a satellite and its gravitational potential energy. The formula for GPE is -GMm/r, and the more massive satellite was expected to have a higher GPE. However, it was discovered that the more massive satellite actually has a lower GPE. This is due to the convention of defining GPE as zero at an infinite distance from the Earth. The conversation also touches on the idea of choosing a reference point for GPE, which is arbitrary and based on convenience.
semc
Negative GPE?

hmm...i came across this qn which ask whether a satellite which has twice the mass of the other will have a higher gravitational potnetial energy...so the formula for GPE will be -GMm/r right? i deduce that since the mass of satellite i greater it will posses greater GPE but i was wrong :cry: :cry:
the reason i got was the satellite with bigger mass will have a more negative GPE so its GPE is lower so i was wondering is this really the case? i thought that the magnitude of the GPE tells you how much PE the object posses in the orbit?

Physics news on Phys.org
semc said:
hmm...i came across this qn which ask whether a satellite which has twice the mass of the other will have a higher gravitational potnetial energy...so the formula for GPE will be -GMm/r right? i deduce that since the mass of satellite i greater it will posses greater GPE but i was wrong :cry: :cry:
the reason i got was the satellite with bigger mass will have a more negative GPE so its GPE is lower so i was wondering is this really the case? i thought that the magnitude of the GPE tells you how much PE the object posses in the orbit?

It is difficult to compare things that have arbitrary reference points. If you defined the potential energy of both objects to be zero at the surface of the earth, then the more massive object would have greater GPE than the less massive object everywhere above the earth. The Earth's surface is not a convenient reference point for orbital systems, so the convention is to define GPE to be zero at an infinite distance from the earth. The more massive satelite's GPE will increase at a faster rate as altitude increases. For both to have zero GPE at infinity, the more massive satellite must have less at any finite altitude. This is consistent with the expression you wrote that is based on the conventional choice of reference that GPE = 0 at infinity.

alrite thanks got it...maybe i can argue with my teacher that i am taking reference from surface of Earth!

semc said:
alrite thanks got it...maybe i can argue with my teacher that i am taking reference from surface of Earth!
Actually, you would be on firm footing if you did, though I'm not recommending it. Only changes in potential energy have physicsal signifigance. The choice of reference point is completely arbitrary, and a matter of convenince. There are good reasons for choosing the reference of zero at infinity, but obviously we often choose the zero to be elsewhere when we are doing problems near the Earth's surface.

1. What is negative GPE and how does it relate to satellites?

Negative GPE, or negative gravitational potential energy, is a measure of the potential energy of an object due to its position in a gravitational field. In the case of satellites, negative GPE refers to the potential energy they have when orbiting a larger body, such as the Earth.

2. Why is it important to explore the negative GPE of satellites?

Exploring the negative GPE of satellites is important because it helps us understand the dynamics of satellite orbits and how they are affected by gravity. This information is critical for accurately predicting and maintaining the orbits of satellites, which are essential for various technological and scientific purposes.

3. How is the negative GPE of satellites calculated?

The negative GPE of a satellite is calculated using the formula GPE = mgh, where m is the mass of the satellite, g is the gravitational acceleration, and h is the height of the satellite's orbit above the surface of the Earth. This formula takes into account the mass of the satellite and its distance from the Earth's center of gravity.

4. What factors affect the negative GPE of satellites?

The negative GPE of satellites is affected by several factors, including the mass of the satellite, the mass of the body it is orbiting, and the distance between the satellite and the center of gravity of the body it is orbiting. Additionally, the shape and orientation of the satellite's orbit can also have an impact on its negative GPE.

5. How does the negative GPE of satellites change over time?

The negative GPE of satellites can change over time due to various factors, such as changes in the satellite's orbit or the gravitational pull of other objects in the vicinity. Additionally, as a satellite loses altitude due to atmospheric drag, its negative GPE will decrease. However, in a stable orbit, the negative GPE will remain relatively constant.