Is it possible to have negative joules?

In summary, it is possible to have a negative joule by doing work or energy that is opposite to the original. There is no physical sense of having a negative mass.
DB
Is it possible to have a negative joule?

Physics news on Phys.org
Not sure what you are really asking, but the joule is a unit of energy or work. So, is it possible to have a negative energy or do negative work? Yes.

Ya that's what I meant, so what would be an example of a Negative Energy/Work

Thanks

Two random examples:

The work done to stop a car (by applying the brakes) is negative work since the force and displacement are opposite.

If you take the top of a hill as your reference (zero) point, then the gravitational potential energy of an object at the bottom of the hill would be negative.

And don't forget that usually what is interesting is the change in energy. And that can certainly be negative.

Got it, ty

another interesting example depends on which way two (oppositely) charged particles are rotating around each other, i.e. clockwise or anticlockwise. we have either negative or positive potential energy

Negative energy or work arises from comparing one statepoint to some reference.

Think of temperature scales, such as Centrigrade and Fahrenheit. They both have negative temperatures. But when we consider temperatures in the Kelvin and Rankine scales - with absolute zero as the reference - the temperatures are always positive.

Compared to absloute zero (correct me if I am wrong), everything has positive energy.

Negative energy is a 'relative' term.

One could ask is there such a thing as negative mass. As far as I know, mass is always positive.

Which reminds me of solving the diffusion equation for neutron flux in a reactor. One could select a function and boundary conditions that would give the possibility of a negative flux (or negative numbers of neutrons passing through a unit area per unit time). But a negative number of neutrons does not make sense physically - and a such a solution would clearly be wrong.

1. Can negative joules exist?

Yes, negative joules can exist in certain situations. In the context of thermodynamics, negative joules are used to represent the work done by a system rather than the work done on a system. This is known as the sign convention in thermodynamics.

2. How can negative joules be possible?

Negative joules are possible because energy is a relative concept. It can be transferred or converted, but it cannot be created or destroyed. In certain situations, the work done by a system can be considered negative because it is being done by the system instead of on the system.

3. Are negative joules the same as negative energy?

No, negative joules and negative energy are not the same. While negative joules refer to the work done by a system, negative energy refers to the total energy of a system. Negative energy is a theoretical concept and is not commonly used in scientific calculations.

4. Can we measure negative joules?

Yes, negative joules can be measured just like positive joules. In thermodynamics, the sign convention is used to indicate whether the work is being done by the system (negative joules) or on the system (positive joules). The magnitude of the joules can still be measured and calculated as usual.

5. What are some examples of negative joules in real life?

One example of negative joules is when a gas expands against a vacuum. The work done by the gas in this situation is considered negative because it is being done by the gas instead of on the gas. Another example is when a car is coasting downhill, the work done by the car's engine is negative because it is being done by the car instead of on the car.