Negative Normal Force (Conceptual Problem)

In summary, the normal force can sometimes be negative, which means that the object would lose contact with the surface if it weren't for other forces, such as glue, keeping it in place. This is an unusual case and should be explained more clearly to avoid confusion.
zmike

Homework Statement

There is an object glued on a plate that rapidly accerlates upwards (then stops) and then accelerates downwards. Graph the y-component of the normal force on a force vs. time graph. There is an interval of time on the graph inwhich the normal force is negative. How can this be? What does it mean physically for normal force to be negative.

The Attempt at a Solution

Since normal force is caused by electrostatic interactions between molecules, it can only occur perpendicular and AWAY from a surface. It would be impossible for normal force to be negative in this instance but yet my TA says that the question is correct...??
How could normal force be in the same direction as gravity?? Am I missing something important or did I make a mistake somewhere is my understanding?

Please help, thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
It means that you've broken physics. In that you've eliminated the equal and opposite force and turned it into an equal force.

Maybe possible theoretically, but as far my knowledge of Newton's third law goes.. This is impossible.

Edit: Hmm if the object is adhered to the plate such that it can accelerate down and still remain intact. Then you will have a tough time determining which forces are acting where between the object and the plate as they will act as a single object.

The negative sign merely indicates the opposite direction of the Force. In this case, signifying the plate is bringing you down instead of up. It seems both of you thought a bit too deep into this one lol.

so would it be correct to say that the negative normal force is really the force applied by the plate (pulling the object down)? So would that mean that my FBD would show normal force pointing in the same direction as gravity?

zmike said:
Since normal force is caused by electrostatic interactions between molecules, it can only occur perpendicular and AWAY from a surface. It would be impossible for normal force to be negative in this instance but yet my TA says that the question is correct...??
I'd say that the use of the term "normal force" in this problem is quite sloppy. In general, what's usually called the normal force does act the way you describe--normal forces PUSH, they don't PULL.

zmike said:
so would it be correct to say that the negative normal force is really the force applied by the plate (pulling the object down)?
Yes. They used the term "normal force" when they should have said "the force exerted by the plate on the object".
So would that mean that my FBD would show normal force pointing in the same direction as gravity?
When the plate pushes up on the object, the "normal force" is positive; when it pulls down, it is negative. Gravity is always negative.

zmike said:
There is an object glued on a plate that rapidly accerlates upwards (then stops) and then accelerates downwards. Graph the y-component of the normal force on a force vs. time graph. There is an interval of time on the graph inwhich the normal force is negative. How can this be? What does it mean physically for normal force to be negative.

Hi zmike! :smile:

"Normal" just means "perpendicular to the surface, measured in the direction from the other surface".

If the normal force on the graph is negative, that means that if the object wasn't glued on, it would have lost contact with the plate as soon as the force was zero. :smile:

That's why glue was invented! :biggrin:

tiny-tim said:
"Normal" just means "perpendicular to the surface, measured in the direction from the other surface".
tiny-tim makes a good point: You can take the component of any contact force between two surfaces perpendicular ("normal") to the surface and that can be properly called the "normal force". Nonetheless, your TA should have explained the difference between the "usual" examples of normal force and this one.

What is Negative Normal Force?

Negative Normal Force is a concept in physics that refers to the force exerted by a surface on an object in a direction that is opposite to the force of gravity. It is called "negative" because it acts in the opposite direction of what is typically considered "normal" force, which is perpendicular to the surface.

How is Negative Normal Force calculated?

The magnitude of Negative Normal Force can be calculated using the equation FN = -mgcosθ, where m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and θ is the angle between the surface and the vertical direction.

When does Negative Normal Force occur?

Negative Normal Force occurs when an object is in contact with a surface that is at an angle, rather than horizontal. This can happen when an object is on a slope or is being pushed or pulled at an angle.

What is the significance of Negative Normal Force?

Negative Normal Force is important because it helps us understand the dynamics of objects on inclined surfaces. It also plays a role in determining the net force on an object and its resulting motion.

Can Negative Normal Force ever be greater than the weight of an object?

No, Negative Normal Force cannot be greater than the weight of an object. This is because the weight of an object is always acting in the direction of gravity, while Negative Normal Force is always acting in the opposite direction. Therefore, the weight and Negative Normal Force can cancel each other out, but Negative Normal Force cannot exceed the weight of an object.