Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Negative Permeability

1. Sep 2, 2007 #1
    Metamaterial structures such as split ring resonators exist such that at their resonant frequency, a stop band occurs, and are effectively therefore opaque to electromagnetic radiation at those frequencies. Could anyone explain this mechanism?
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 2, 2007 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

4. Sep 2, 2007 #3
    Thanks for that, although i had already come across that article i missed the most important sentence "If instead of electrons the material response were due to harmonically bound magnetic moments, then a negative magnetic response would exist."

Anyone find any other article that would expand on the source of the negative magnetic response?
  5. Sep 2, 2007 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

But... but.. it is due to the solution of Maxwell's equation and the geometry of the split rings. I thought this is covered in that article?

Here's another article that covers almost the same thing.

6. Sep 2, 2007 #5
    Well yes the geometry of the split rings is what causes the resonance, and ultimately the negative permeability, but my question is what is in the wave-matter interaction that stops the propagation of the electromagnetic wave. Truly, as u stated, if you solve Maxwell's equations with a negative permeability, the wave will not propagate.

What I am looking for however is an explanation similar to the one given in the first article for negative permittivity...
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?