1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Negative Permeability

1. Sep 2, 2007 #1
    Metamaterial structures such as split ring resonators exist such that at their resonant frequency, a stop band occurs, and are effectively therefore opaque to electromagnetic radiation at those frequencies. Could anyone explain this mechanism?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 2, 2007 #2

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

http://www.physicstoday.org/vol-57/iss-6/pdf/vol57no6p37_43.pdf [Broken]

Zz.

Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2017
  4. Sep 2, 2007 #3
    Thanks for that, although i had already come across that article i missed the most important sentence "If instead of electrons the material response were due to harmonically bound magnetic moments, then a negative magnetic response would exist."

Anyone find any other article that would expand on the source of the negative magnetic response?

5. Sep 2, 2007 #4

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

But... but.. it is due to the solution of Maxwell's equation and the geometry of the split rings. I thought this is covered in that article?

Here's another article that covers almost the same thing.

Zz.

6. Sep 2, 2007 #5
    Well yes the geometry of the split rings is what causes the resonance, and ultimately the negative permeability, but my question is what is in the wave-matter interaction that stops the propagation of the electromagnetic wave. Truly, as u stated, if you solve Maxwell's equations with a negative permeability, the wave will not propagate.

What I am looking for however is an explanation similar to the one given in the first article for negative permittivity...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook