What is the relationship between critical angle and negative refractive index?

In summary, according to Snell's law, an angle of incidence greater than the critical angle will result in reflection. If a light beam is incident at an interface of two mediums, the interface will act as a mirror, reflecting the entire beam.
Tanishq Nandan

Homework Statement

20170923_223331-1.jpg
[/B]

Homework Equations

Snell's Law:
n1sin(i)=n2sin(r)
Critical angle=sininverse(n1/n2) [**only works when n2>n1]
If a light beam is incident at an interface of 2 mediums(with r.i n1 and n2) at an angle greater than the critical angle,the interface acts as a mirror,reflecting the entire beam.

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought of it in terms of critical angle,and saw that according to the formula,critical angle's coming out to be some negative value.Doesn't this mean that any angle of incidence greater than that(which is practically every possible light ray) will have i>critical angle and undergo reflection??
So,I thought option C to be correct.
However,answer's A.
Help appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
berkeman said:
I haven't heard of this before, but it would just seem to be a result of substituting -n for n in Snell's Law...

https://skullsinthestars.files.wordpress.com/2008/08/negativerefraction.jpg
View attachment 211601
I know,I accounted for the given answer in the same way,but only after I had consulted the answer key.Before that,I was thinking about critical angles..and I still can't find the wrong in that.The only criterion for the formula,as I stated earlier,is n1>n2,which is obviously true since n2 is negative

Tanishq Nandan said:
I know,I accounted for the given answer in the same way,but only after I had consulted the answer key.Before that,I was thinking about critical angles..and I still can't find the wrong in that.The only criterion for the formula,as I stated earlier,is n1>n2,which is obviously true since n2 is negative

OK, good point! But the condition for the existence of a critical angle would not be n1 > n2. I think it would be n1 > |n2|.

In this question, medium 1 is air. So n1 ≈ 1. Then, in order to have total reflection, you need |n2| < 1.

Some of the articles I found on the net mention materials with n2 = -0.3. So, this does satisfy |n2| < 1.

What would be the value of the critical angle in this case where n1 = 1.0 and n2 = -0.3?

So, you can see that for this case, answer C looks correct.

For n2 < -0.1, |θ2| is always less than θ1, and answer A would be correct.

TSny said:
n1 > |n2|.
Ok...
But the question just says negative..and nothing about the value.I found your link interesting. .but a few(a lot,actually) of things looked kinda out of my league

Tanishq Nandan said:
Ok...
But the question just says negative..and nothing about the value.
Yes. So, it seems A or C could be correct. The only thing that I see that might dismiss C is that the angle of reflection does not look quite equal to the angle of incidence.

I found your link interesting. .but a few(a lot,actually) of things looked kinda out of my league
Same here. Some of the slides do use advanced physics concepts. But overall I was able to get a better understanding of the topic.

What is a negative refractive index?

A negative refractive index is a property of materials in which light is bent in the opposite direction of what is normally expected. This means that the angle of refraction is on the opposite side of the normal line compared to the angle of incidence.

How is a negative refractive index measured?

A negative refractive index is measured using a device called a spectrometer, which can measure the angle of refraction and the angle of incidence. These measurements are then used to calculate the refractive index using Snell's law.

What materials exhibit a negative refractive index?

Materials with a negative refractive index are known as metamaterials and are artificially engineered structures with unique properties. These materials are typically made up of arrays of tiny structures, such as wires or split rings, that interact with light in a way that produces a negative refractive index.

What are the potential applications of negative refractive index materials?

Negative refractive index materials have potential applications in areas such as superlenses, invisibility cloaks, and improved antennas for wireless communication. They could also be used to create more efficient solar cells and improve the resolution of optical microscopes.

What are the challenges in creating and using negative refractive index materials?

One of the main challenges in creating and using negative refractive index materials is the difficulty in fabricating and manipulating them on a large scale. These materials also typically have narrow bandwidths, meaning they only work for specific wavelengths of light. Additionally, the cost and technology required to produce these materials can be a barrier to widespread use.