Designing a Clapp Oscillator: Distinguishing Negative Resistance & Tank Circuit

In summary, this oscillator does not have true negative resistance. It uses a tank circuit and a FET to generate negative resistance.
dalarev
Attached is an image of the clapp oscillator I am designing, DC bias not shown.

My question is, how can I distinguish between the part of the circuit acting as the negative resistance generator and that which functions as a tank circuit?

The resistor shown in the image is not part of the DC bias.

Attachments

• Clapp Sch.JPG
    Clapp Sch.JPG
    34.7 KB · Views: 368
Engineering news on Phys.org
The coil and capacitors are the tank circuit and the FET is the negative resistance.

This is very similar to your last post
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=347677
so I have to wonder why are persisting with such unrealistic values of components?

vk6kro said:
The coil and capacitors are the tank circuit and the FET is the negative resistance.

This is very similar to your last post
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=347677
so I have to wonder why are persisting with such unrealistic values of components?

Are you referring to the absence of transmission lines? They will be implemented in the design, but I fail to see other apparent inconsistencies with it.

My goal is to create subcircuits of the tank circuit/negative resistance generator separately, then use an oscillator probe available in the simulator which injects (initial) signals of certain frequency to test which one it will resonate at.

dalarev said:
Are you referring to the absence of transmission lines? They will be implemented in the design, but I fail to see other apparent inconsistencies with it.

I think he means unrealistic values like 1 Ohm // 1 pF.

Yes, that is right.

Modelling with values like 1nH, 1 pF and 1 ohm and with no DC bias values means the oscillator has no chance of working because the FET will have internal capacitances and inductances that are much greater than these values.

Why is there a 1 ohm resistor across the FET?

Ahhh, hahaha, yes. My mistake; those parameters are only default values because I put together a schematic quickly just to be able to take a screenshot of it, to show the layout.

Though, in practice, both of my static capacitors do have values of 1 pF. My DC bias is not shown, but the NMOS allows a bias current of 0.5 mA. I keep omitting the DC bias circuit, though, because in the simulator I will use a block diagram of it.I was hoping someone could provide some good reading material on "true" negative resistance, meaning one which supplies power.

1. What is a Clapp oscillator?

A Clapp oscillator is a type of electronic oscillator circuit that uses a combination of an inductor, a capacitor, and a negative resistance element to generate a continuous oscillatory signal at a specific frequency.

2. What is negative resistance and how does it differ from positive resistance?

Negative resistance is the phenomenon in which the current through a circuit increases as the voltage across it decreases. This is the opposite of positive resistance, where current decreases as voltage decreases. In a Clapp oscillator, a negative resistance element is used to compensate for the losses in the tank circuit and maintain oscillations.

3. What is a tank circuit and what is its role in a Clapp oscillator?

A tank circuit is a combination of an inductor and a capacitor connected in parallel. It acts as a frequency-selective circuit, allowing only a specific frequency to pass through and amplifying it. In a Clapp oscillator, the tank circuit is used to set the frequency of the oscillations.

4. How does a Clapp oscillator maintain a constant oscillation frequency?

A Clapp oscillator uses a feedback loop to maintain a constant oscillation frequency. The negative resistance element in the circuit compensates for the losses in the tank circuit, ensuring that the frequency of the oscillations remains stable.

5. What are the main design considerations for a Clapp oscillator?

The main design considerations for a Clapp oscillator include selecting the appropriate values for the inductor and capacitor in the tank circuit, choosing the right negative resistance element, and ensuring that the feedback loop is stable. Other factors such as power supply voltage, temperature, and component tolerances should also be taken into account during the design process.