1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Negative resistance?

1. Aug 5, 2005 #1

Nereid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

From wikipedia, there is a reference to "composite configuration of carbon nanotubes which appears to exhibit anomalous results which resemble a static negative resistor", and "Gabriel Kron, while a scientist for General Electric, is thought to have built a negative resistor for the US Navy's "Network Analyser"."

Is there more to this (or is it a 'fringe' case)? If the latter, does it really belong in wiki?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 5, 2005 #2
    it's not a fringe case. look up the tunneling diode link at the wiki article. tunneling diodes do have a (U,I)-region like that.

4. Aug 12, 2005 #3
    Tunnel Diode is not a static device, its Imposssible within the laws of Physics to have a static negative resistor.

5. Aug 12, 2005 #4
    As far as I can understand the Wikipeida arttical it's talking about negative differential resistance and therfore I don't really find it unbeliavabele (perhaps a bit unusual).

6. Aug 13, 2005 #5
    Yes, negative differential resistance means that although it has a positive
    resistance, a slight increase inthe voltage causes less current to flow.

A true negative resistance supplies power.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?