Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Negative resistance?

1. Aug 5, 2005 #1

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

From wikipedia, there is a reference to "composite configuration of carbon nanotubes which appears to exhibit anomalous results which resemble a static negative resistor", and "Gabriel Kron, while a scientist for General Electric, is thought to have built a negative resistor for the US Navy's "Network Analyser"."

Is there more to this (or is it a 'fringe' case)? If the latter, does it really belong in wiki?
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 5, 2005 #2
    it's not a fringe case. look up the tunneling diode link at the wiki article. tunneling diodes do have a (U,I)-region like that.
  4. Aug 12, 2005 #3
    Tunnel Diode is not a static device, its Imposssible within the laws of Physics to have a static negative resistor.
  5. Aug 12, 2005 #4
    As far as I can understand the Wikipeida arttical it's talking about negative differential resistance and therfore I don't really find it unbeliavabele (perhaps a bit unusual).
  6. Aug 13, 2005 #5
    Yes, negative differential resistance means that although it has a positive
    resistance, a slight increase inthe voltage causes less current to flow.

A true negative resistance supplies power.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?