1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Negative Solutions for x?

1. Dec 7, 2004 #1
    K the question is 3^x^2+20=(1/27)^3x
    well I got 3^x^2+20=(3^-3)^3x
    the exponents make a quadratic function so i just set it = to 0 and factored to solve for x but this is what i got (x+4)(x+5) this means x=-4, or -5 but doesnt that mean there is no solution? We are not doing Log yet.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 7, 2004 #2

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

(don't forget parentheses when writing expressions)

Okay... why?

4. Dec 7, 2004 #3
    Ok i dont know because this question seemed similar to an example problem I had, this A one look below

22x-2x=12 You can convert both sides of the equation to a common base; however, you can solve this exponential equation algebraically (without graphing calculator). Make sure you know how to solve this type of question algebraically.

(2x)2-2x=12 apply law of exponent

Now, if you take a close look, this equation looks like a quadratic equation. Let A be 2x, and rewrite the equation.

A2-A=12

A2-A-12=0

(A+3) (A-4)=0

A= -3 or A= 4

Therefore, 2x= -3, or 2x= 4.

The first equation, 2x= -3, has no solution since any positive base raised to any exponent results in a positive value.

The second equation, 2x=4, gives:
    2x =22

Therefore, x = 2.

5. Dec 7, 2004 #4
    I did this problem wrong for sure can someone help me out plz :confused:

6. Dec 7, 2004 #5

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I don't mean to be mean,but u have a MAJOR DISSRESPECT FOR THE NOTION OF PARANTHESIS.
    When writing down mathematical expressions,paranthesis mean a great deal,since u could get absurd results without taking them into consideration/interpreting the existing ones in a wrong way.
    Now,to answer your first post,since the second contained no question,the sollutions u found "x=-4",are and "x=-5" are pefect and more,are unique,and they both check the initial equation as u can easily check.
    Note that this time there's noi other equation of the kind "a^{x}=negative number",as in the example posted above.The negative numbers are just the sollution and they needn't be equalled to and exponential function.
    Anyway,i find awkward that u study exponential equations before logarithms,as most solutions of such equations can be given in terms of logarithms.

7. Dec 7, 2004 #6
    X being negative does not make it a invalid solution, it's perfectly okay to have negative exponent values, the solutions are -4, -5.

8. Dec 7, 2004 #7
    Thanks Nothing thats all I wanted to know. :smile:

9. Dec 7, 2004 #8
    YES THANKYOU FOR UR COMMENTS AND HELP :grumpy:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?