Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Negative Temperature

1. Jun 11, 2013 #1
    I've read recently about systems with the ability to reach negative temperature: where entropy decreases as energy increases. I have a couple question regarding this. First, how is it possible to reach negative temperature without crossing absolute zero? Is there some discontinuity like a phase transition that allows this to happen? How can negative temperature be related to the kinetic energy of system?

Additionally, wouldn't this allow heat to flow from negative to positive temperature, leading to more than 100% efficient engines?

Finally, could this have anything to do with negative pressure associated with positive vacuum energy density?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 11, 2013 #2

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Do a forum search. This has been discussed here not too long back.

4. Jun 11, 2013 #3
    I tried before I posted this, can you provide a link?

5. Jun 11, 2013 #4

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

DO A SEARCH --- use "negative temperature" in quotes

6. Jun 11, 2013 #5

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Use the "Search PF via Google" option at the SEARCH pulldown menu at the top of the page. Then click the thread hit from 3-Jan-2013.

:smile:

7. Jun 11, 2013 #6
    Thanks!

8. Jun 11, 2013 #7

Mute

Homework Helper

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook