1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Negative Temperatures (Two level systems)

1. May 31, 2007 #1

Dox

Hello everybody!

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I'm interested in a statistical system with N particles which possible energies are, [tex] 0,\epsilon>0[/tex].

a) Find the entropy of the system.

b) Find the most probable [tex]n_0[/tex] and [tex]n_1[/tex], and find the mean square fluctuations of these quantities.

c) Find the temperature as a function of [tex]U[/tex], and show it can be negative.

d) What happens when a system of negative temperature is allowed to exchange heat with a system of positive temperature?

2. Relevant equations

[tex]W(n_0,n_1)=\frac{N!}{n_0!n_1!}[/tex]

[tex]S=k\ln \Omega, [/tex] with [tex]\Omega=\sum'_{\{n\}} W(n_0,n_1).[/tex]

[tex]\frac{1}{T}=\frac{\partial S}{\partial U}.[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

I try the following,
    [tex]N= n_0+n_1[/tex] and [tex]U=n_1 \epsilon_1-n_0\epsilon_0= n_1\epsilon_1.[/tex], so

[tex]W=\frac{N!}{(N-n_1)! n_1!}\;\Rightarrow \; n_1^*=\frac{N}{2}.[/tex]
    That should answer the question (b).

Meanwhile, by using the Stirling's formula,

[tex]S=k\left(N\ln N -(N-n_1)\ln (N-n_1) - n_1\ln n_1,[/tex]
    I used [tex]N=n_1+n_2[/tex] for deriving the temperature, but I got

[tex]\frac{1}{T}= \frac{k}{\epsilon_1}\ln\left(\frac{n_1+n_0}{n_1}\right),[/tex] which is not negative, :uhh:

Finally, I guess that if I allow a sut up with negative temperature interact with a standard thermodynamical system the second law breaks... Am I right??

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?