Negative Values of the Frictional Force?

In summary, a block with a weight of 100N and a force of 40N reaches a velocity of 40 m/s in 100 m starting from rest. The coefficient of kinetic friction between the block and the ground is computed using the equation 0.5 (V^2 -Vo^2) = as and the equations ∑Fy = 0 and ∑Fx = Force - Inertia - Frictional Force - Weight = 0. The final equation used is F - Ff - W ( a / g ) - W = 0, which results in a negative coefficient of friction. However, further calculations result in a positive coefficient of friction, which is not physically possible. This suggests that
AilingLore21

Homework Statement

6110bc6d-047f-4ce3-8462-1248e3134b33.jpe

Ignore B & C for now

The block in the figure reaches a velocity of 40 m/sec in 100 m, starting from rest. Compute the coefficient of kinetic friction between the block and the ground.

W = 100N

F = 40 N

2. Homework Equations

∑Fy = 0 so Normal Force = Weight
∑Fx = Force - Inertia - Frictional Force - Weight = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

0.5 (V^2 -Vo^2) = as

0.5 (40^2 - 0) = a(100m)

a = 8 m/s^2

So I got this equation:

40 N = 100 N ( cos90) + 100N (8m/s^2 / 9.806 ) + 100 N ( μ)

I ended up getting a negative coefficient of friction which is

-0.415827. Is there something wrong with my equation?

Physics news on Phys.org
You cannot have a negative coefficient of friction.
Also, write out your equation in variable form.

Is there something wrong with my equation?

Think about the directions of the forces, how they add or subtract.

Comeback City said:
You cannot have a negative coefficient of friction.
Also, write out your equation in variable form.

0.5 (V2 -Vo2) = 2 * a * d

∑Fy = 0

W = 100N
N - W = 0
so W =100 N∑Fx = 0

F = 40 N

F - Ff - W ( a / g ) - W = 0

John Park said:
Think about the directions of the forces, how they add or subtract.
The inertia naturally resists the motion so it's negative, frictional force too. Weight is multiplied by the cosine of 90 so it's technically zero. Force appears to be going to the right so it's positive. I'm still having trouble why it's a negative value when computed

F - Ff - W ( a / g ) - W = 0

If Ff is the frictional force, what is W?

John Park said:
If Ff is the frictional force, what is W?

Weight, so are you saying Weight does not exist on a horizontal movement ?

The inertia naturally resists the motion so it's negative

But the acceleration must have the same direction and the same sign as the net force.

Weight, so are you saying Weight does not exist on a horizontal movement ?

It has no effect that isn't already accounted for: weight by definition acts only vertically, and in this case is balanced by the normal force. You have the coresponding mass in the term that includes g.

AilingLore21 said:
∑Fx = Force - Inertia - Frictional Force - Weight = 0
I see a couple of problems with this equation.
1. You say that the net force (sum of all the forces) is zero. That is true only if the acceleration is zero. This is not true here because the block starts from zero velocity and reaches 40 m/s some time later. Therefore the acceleration cannot possibly be zero.
2. You show 4 forces acting in the horizontal direction. I can only see 2 that make sense, "Force" (pushing the block) and "Frictional force" (from the ground contact). Where does "Inertia" come from? What about "Weight"? Is that in the horizontal direction?

AilingLore21 said:
-0.415827. Is there something wrong with my equation?
I got the same answer. Maybe we are both crazy.

John Park said:
It has no effect that isn't already accounted for: weight by definition acts only vertically, and in this case is balanced by the normal force. You have the coresponding mass in the term that includes g.
Ok , so this gave me an idea

∑Fx = 0

F = 40 N

F - Ff + W ( a / g ) = 0

So if I compute again

40 - Ff + 100 ( 8m/s2 / 9.806)

I would get a Ff of 121.5827 N

divide that by 100 and I get a coefficient of 1.22

Seems pretty large for a coefficient of friction

AilingLore21 said:
∑Fx = 0
This is wrong.

Read what @kuruman said.

If a force of 40 N is applied to a mass of 10 kg, you get an acceleration of 4 m/s^2. So how can you get an acceleration of 8 m/s^2 unless you have another force acting in the same direction. Thus, a negative μ.

Maybe it's too earl for me and I'm not fully awake yet.
Edit: See ^. I can't even type "early".

Interestingly enough, I also got that same negative answer. I'm not sure what could've gone wrong here unless the data from the original question was copied down incorrectly, since a negative coefficient of friction is physically impossible.

Comeback City said:
Interestingly enough, I also got that same negative answer. I'm not sure what could've gone wrong here unless the data from the original question was copied down incorrectly, since a negative coefficient of friction is physically impossible.
Either written down wrong, or a poorly-thought-out problem.

TomHart said:
Either written down wrong, or a poorly-thought-out problem.
Yeah both are very possible

@AilingLore21 Can you check if all of the values in the problem are written down correctly.

I think you have the wrong sign for the acceleration; but I agree something is strange here. The block was accelerated at almost g, which as far as I can see is incompatible with a 40 N force and a 100/g kg mass. Have you checked the given data, including units?

I somewhat figured out that
TomHart said:
@AilingLore21 Can you check if all of the values in the problem are written down correctly.

They are apparently. I'm used to solving the inclined versions of these. I wonder why I'm having this much trouble on a horizontal one

AilingLore21 said:
They are apparently. I'm used to solving the inclined versions of these. I wonder why I'm having this much trouble on a horizontal one
Actually, your first answer of μ = -0.416 looks like it was correct. But I could not understand your method. It seemed like there were some problems.
For example, if you could explain how this equation came about.
AilingLore21 said:

Look, if the contact were frictionless, the acceleration would be
$$a=\frac{F}{W/g}=\frac{40}{100/9.8} = 3.92~m/s^2$$
How can the acceleration with friction be about twice a much? If the numbers are copied correctly, they are not thought out correctly.

AilingLore21 said:
Actually, the more I look at your equation, the more it makes sense. The only thing that is really questionable in that equation is the 100cos90 term. Where did that come from?

One other tip: It is best to leave out units in these equations. Just include them in the final result.

If I throw out the 100cos90 term in your equation, I am left with:
40 = (100)(8/9.8) + 100μ, which is derived from:
ΣF = ma
F - f = ma (where F is the 40 N applied force and f is the friction force)
40 - μ(100) = (100/9.8)(8)
Solving gives μ = -0.416.

So I think you were pretty much on the right track, except for that 100cos90 term.

TomHart said:
If I throw out the 100cos90 term in your equation
You can safely do that, ##\cos 90^o =0##.

kuruman said:
You can safely do that, cos90=0.
For sure. I just think it shows a lack of understanding that it was there in the first place.

I don't know if you'd find it helpful, but I like to start from Newton's law for this type of problem.

Net Force = Mass x Acceleration.

You've found the acceleration. The mass is 100/g kg.

The net force is the applied force less the frictional force = 40 - 100.μ N (where μ is the frictional coefficient to be found).

I get the same negative answer you did originally, too.

TomHart said:
I just think it shows a lack of understanding that it was there in the first place.
Perhaps. Although not as simple as zero, 100 N cos90o is, nevertheless, the horizontal component of the weight.

kuruman said:
Perhaps. Although not as simple as zero, 100 N cos90o is, nevertheless, the horizontal component of the weight.
Usually as folks progress on in the study of physics, they learn that they can usually omit the horizontal component of weight. :)

Likes kuruman
kuruman said:
Actually, the more I think about it, the more I think I agree with you - that it might not show a lack of understanding. It could actually be an indication of a fairly thorough understanding of the fundamental concept.

TomHart said:
Usually as folks progress on in the study of physics, they learn that they can usually omit the horizontal component of weight. :)
Indeed, but I think this is not a good problem for honing one's physical understanding as I indicated in post #22.

Likes TomHart

1. What are negative values of the frictional force?

Negative values of the frictional force occur when the direction of the force is opposite to the direction of motion. This means that instead of slowing down or stopping an object's motion, the frictional force is actually causing it to move in the opposite direction.

2. What causes negative values of the frictional force?

Negative values of the frictional force can be caused by a variety of factors, such as a change in surface texture or the presence of a lubricant. It can also be influenced by the angle of the surface and the weight of the object.

3. Can negative values of the frictional force be beneficial?

Yes, negative values of the frictional force can be beneficial in certain situations. For example, in sports such as ice skating or skiing, a small amount of negative frictional force can help an athlete glide smoothly on the surface.

4. How can negative values of the frictional force be calculated?

The calculation of negative values of the frictional force involves taking into account the direction and magnitude of the force, as well as the surface characteristics and other influencing factors. This can be done using mathematical equations and formulas.

5. What are some real-life examples of negative values of the frictional force?

Real-life examples of negative values of the frictional force include ice skating, skiing, and sliding on a playground slide. It can also be seen in the movement of objects on a conveyor belt or the motion of vehicles on a slippery road.