1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Negative Voltage

1. Apr 24, 2012 #1
    I just completed a problem regarding a Millikan Oil Drop Experiment. I ended up with a negative voltage in the solution.

I am just trying to understand negative voltage. Does it mean that the current will travel from - to + instead of the conventional + to -?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 24, 2012 #2

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

yes it does

4. Apr 25, 2012 #3

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Umm.. I don't think so. Why would it do that? Conventionally signed current will always flow from the higher (more +ve) potential to the lower.

5. Apr 25, 2012 #4
    If the "-" represents the ground or reference then I believe the "+" can have any potential difference whether positive or negative. In such a case though the "-" terminal will have the higher potential and so conventional current will run from it to the "+" terminal.

6. Apr 25, 2012 #5

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Yeah, that's what I meant, but my simple "yes" was a bit misleading, as haruspex correctly pointed out.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook