Negative Voltage: Understanding How Current Travels

In summary, during a Millikan Oil Drop Experiment, the solution can result in a negative voltage. This means that the current will flow from the - to + terminal rather than the conventional + to - flow. However, if the - terminal represents the ground or reference, then the + terminal can have any potential difference, positive or negative. In this case, the - terminal will have a higher potential and the conventional current will run from it to the + terminal.
gbaby370
I just completed a problem regarding a Millikan Oil Drop Experiment. I ended up with a negative voltage in the solution.

I am just trying to understand negative voltage. Does it mean that the current will travel from - to + instead of the conventional + to -?

Physics news on Phys.org
gbaby370 said:
I just completed a problem regarding a Millikan Oil Drop Experiment. I ended up with a negative voltage in the solution.

I am just trying to understand negative voltage. Does it mean that the current will travel from - to + instead of the conventional + to -?

yes it does

phinds said:
yes it does

Umm.. I don't think so. Why would it do that? Conventionally signed current will always flow from the higher (more +ve) potential to the lower.

If the "-" represents the ground or reference then I believe the "+" can have any potential difference whether positive or negative. In such a case though the "-" terminal will have the higher potential and so conventional current will run from it to the "+" terminal.

Waterfox said:
If the "-" represents the ground or reference then I believe the "+" can have any potential difference whether positive or negative. In such a case though the "-" terminal will have the higher potential and so conventional current will run from it to the "+" terminal.

Yeah, that's what I meant, but my simple "yes" was a bit misleading, as haruspex correctly pointed out.

What is negative voltage?

Negative voltage is a measure of electrical potential energy that is opposite in direction to the flow of current. It is usually represented by a negative sign and is commonly used in circuits to control the direction and flow of electric current.

How does current travel in negative voltage?

Current travels in negative voltage by flowing from a point of lower potential energy to a point of higher potential energy. In circuits, this is typically from the negative terminal to the positive terminal of a battery, or from a negative voltage source to a positive voltage source.

What are the applications of negative voltage?

Negative voltage has several applications in modern technology. It is commonly used in electronic circuits to control the direction and flow of current, in power supplies to regulate voltage levels, and in telecommunications to transmit and receive signals.

How is negative voltage measured?

Negative voltage is measured using a voltmeter, which is a device that measures the difference in electrical potential between two points. The negative voltage is typically measured in volts (V) and is represented by a negative sign.

What are the potential dangers of negative voltage?

Negative voltage can pose potential dangers if not handled properly. It can cause electrical shock, short circuits, and damage to electronic devices. It is important to follow proper safety precautions when working with negative voltage to avoid accidents and injuries.