Negative Volume of Revolution?

In summary, the conversation discusses an equation by Nobuo Yamamoto that describes the curve of an egg. When solved for y, it results in a negative volume when rotated around the x-axis. The user is seeking help in finding where they went wrong in their calculations and how to fix the problem. They also mention using a website for reference and substituting a value into the equation.
sam9734
There is a nice equation made by Nobuo Yamamoto which describes the curve of an egg and it is:

(x^2 + y^2)^2 = ax^3 + (3/10)xy^2, where a is the length of the major axis of the egg.

Solve this equation for y, we get:

y=+/- sqrt((3/20)ax - x^2 + xsqrt((7/10)ax + (9/400)a^2))

When I rotate the function around the x-axis by 2(pi), the result is a negative volume of (-1)((pi)(a^3))/12.

I don't know what I am doing wrong, or how I can fix this problem.

Can someone please help me out on this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Show your work. How else might we see where you went wrong?

phinds said:
Show your work. How else might we see where you went wrong?
Sorry, new to this site.

I am using the positive case of the equation mentioned.
1.png
2.png
3.png
4.png

5.png

It looks like you didn't solve for ##y## correctly. I get
$$y = \sqrt{\left(\frac b2\right)x-x^2+x\sqrt{\left(\frac b2\right)^2+(a-b)x}}$$ where ##b=3/10##.

To integrate the term of the form ##x\sqrt{c+dx}##, try using the substitution ##u=c+dx##.

OK, so you have a typo in the equation in your first post. Your expression for ##y## is correct, but you didn't evaluate the third integral correctly.

1. What is a negative volume of revolution?

A negative volume of revolution is the volume of a three-dimensional shape that is formed when a function is rotated around an axis, where the resulting volume has a negative value. This is often seen in calculus and can occur when the function being rotated has negative values or when the axis of rotation is below the curve.

2. How is the negative volume of revolution calculated?

The negative volume of revolution can be calculated using the method of cylindrical shells or the method of disks/washers. These methods involve breaking down the shape into infinitesimal slices, calculating the volume of each slice, and then integrating to find the total volume.

3. What are some real-life applications of the negative volume of revolution?

The negative volume of revolution has many real-life applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and biology. For example, it can be used to calculate the volume of a hollow pipe, the displacement of a fluid in a container, or the volume of a human organ.

4. Can the negative volume of revolution be negative in value?

Yes, the negative volume of revolution can have a negative value. This occurs when the function being rotated has negative values, or when the axis of rotation is below the curve, resulting in the volume being subtracted rather than added.

5. What are some common challenges when calculating the negative volume of revolution?

One of the main challenges when calculating the negative volume of revolution is determining the correct axis of rotation. This can be especially tricky for complex shapes or functions. Additionally, using the wrong method (cylindrical shells vs disks/washers) can result in incorrect calculations.