What is Negative Work and Energy?

In summary, the law of action and reaction doesn't transfer from forces to work because the work also depend on whether or not the object on which the force acts is moving (displacement).
fogvajarash
How can we define negative work to be? I can't get my head around negative work or energy. However, I'm thinking that it must be work that is done opposite in the direction of motion of a particle or body (say, friction). Could someone please help me understand this concept?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yeah. I'll give you a simple example hopefully you understand. If you pick up and object with weight you are doing negative work against gravity. If you let go of the object gravity is doing positive work.

PhysicsKid0123 said:
If you pick up and object with weight you are doing negative work against gravity.

No, in this case the work you do is positive. The force you exert and the direction of motion are in the same direction: both upwards.

If you lower an object while holding it in your hand, then you do negative work on the object. In this case the force is still upwards, but the direction of motion is downwards, i.e. in opposite directions.

Another way to look at it is that "you do negative work on an object" is equivalent to "the object does positive work on you." Practical application: the weight that drives a grandfather clock. The clock does negative work on the weight, and the weight does positive work on the clock, as the weight is slowly lowered.

Have a look..

Attachments

• DSC_0006.jpg
    DSC_0006.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 464
jtbell said:
Another way to look at it is that "you do negative work on an object" is equivalent to "the object does positive work on you." Practical application: the weight that drives a grandfather clock. The clock does negative work on the weight, and the weight does positive work on the clock, as the weight is slowly lowered.

That's not right. The weight does no work on the clock because the clock is not moving. The law of action and reaction doesn't transfer from forces to work because the work also depend on whether or not the object on which the force acts is moving (displacement).

jtbell said:
Practical application: the weight that drives a grandfather clock. The driven pulley of the clock does negative work on the weight, and the weight does positive work on the driven pulley of the clock, as the weight is slowly lowered.

dauto said:
That's not right. The weight does no work on the clock because the clock is not moving. The law of action and reaction doesn't transfer from forces to work because the work also depend on whether or not the object on which the force acts is moving (displacement).

Suppose I changed jtbell's statement to add the text in boldface above... then it would be right (and I expect that's what he intended anyways).

Yes, the clock as a whole does not move, so I made a poor choice of words.

So what was wrong with my statement again?

PhysicsKid0123 said:
So what was wrong with my statement again?

PhysicsKid0123 said:
If you pick up and object with weight you are doing negative work against gravity.
Since the force you exert and the displacement are both upward, you are doing positive work.

If you let go of the object gravity is doing positive work.
When the object falls, gravity does positive work.

But doesn't it depend what context you say you're doing work? The example I gave was relative to gravity. You are saying exactly what I'm saying. I said and you said gravity does positive work when letting go. Okay that is settled. Now if you pick up an object you are doing positive work. Another way to say that which has the same physical meaning is that picking up an object is equivalent to gravity doing negative work on the object since gravity is a conservative force. I do positive work, simultaneously gravity does negative work. Gravity does positive work, simultaneously I do negative work when lowering down the object. I know this because I read three different texts and saw Walter Lewin explain it in his classical mechanics lecture. Do you see what I am saying?

PhysicsKid0123 said:
But doesn't it depend what context you say you're doing work? The example I gave was relative to gravity. You are saying exactly what I'm saying. I said and you said gravity does positive work when letting go. Okay that is settled. Now if you pick up an object you are doing positive work. Another way to say that which has the same physical meaning is that picking up an object is equivalent to gravity doing negative work on the object since gravity is a conservative force. I do positive work, gravity does negative work. Gravity does positive work, I do negative work. I know this because I read three different texts and saw Walter Lewin explain it in his classical mechanics lecture. Do you see what I am saying?
All good.

So why didn't you say that the first time? :wink: Read what you actually wrote earlier.

You said that when you pick up an object you do negative work against gravity, which was incorrect. As you said correctly in your last post, you do positive work against gravity.

What is negative work and energy?

Negative work and energy refer to the concept in physics where the work done by a force on an object results in a decrease in the object's energy. This means that the force applied to the object is in the opposite direction of the displacement of the object.

How is negative work and energy calculated?

Negative work and energy are calculated by multiplying the magnitude of the force applied to an object by the distance the object moves in the opposite direction of the force. This can be represented by the equation W = -F x d, where W is the work, F is the force, and d is the distance.

What are some examples of negative work and energy?

One example of negative work and energy is when a car is slowing down while braking. The force of the brakes is applied in the opposite direction of the car's motion, resulting in a decrease in its kinetic energy. Another example is when an object is lifted at a constant speed, the force of gravity is acting downwards, while the displacement is upwards, resulting in negative work and energy.

What is the significance of negative work and energy?

Negative work and energy play a crucial role in understanding the conservation of energy. In systems where friction is present, negative work and energy must be taken into account to accurately calculate the total energy of the system. It also helps in understanding the behavior of objects in different situations, such as when an object is accelerating or decelerating.

Can negative work and energy be positive?

Yes, negative work and energy can be positive in certain scenarios. For example, in a system where an object is moving in the same direction as the applied force, the work done will be positive. This means that the force is aiding in the displacement of the object, resulting in an increase in its energy.