1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Negative X

1. May 29, 2005 #1
    I'm graphing equations, and I ran into a snag. I assumed that the graph would be the same for both of the following:

[tex]y=x^2[/tex] and [tex]y=-x^2[/tex]

since any negative number squared is equal to it's absolute value squared.

However, the book showed equation 2 as having an inverted graph of equation 1.

So, I suppose my question is, when I come across [tex]-x^2[/tex] should I treat it like [tex]-(x^2)[/tex] or like [tex](-x)^2[/tex]? IOW, should [tex]-x[/tex] be treated as [tex] -1*x[/tex] or as a number in and of itself, like [tex]-2[/tex]?

Thanks.

[tex]\phi[/tex]

The Rev

2. jcsd
  3. May 29, 2005 #2
    [tex] x^2 = (-x)^2 [/tex] by some algebra. However you can show that [tex] -x^2 \neq x^2 [/tex] by some more algebra!

[tex] -x^2 = -1 x^2 [/tex]

4. May 29, 2005 #3
    the negative sign in -X is just a factor. so when you have [tex] -x^2[/tex] you are only squaring the X and not the factor that goes along with it. just like if you had [tex] 2x^2[/tex] you don't square the two. if you want to square the two, you'd use parenthesis, [tex] (2x)^2[/tex] same if you want to square the negative.

as far as how to generally treat -X you do just like i mentioned. you treat the negative as a factor, cause that's all it is. the negative symbol has different meanings, so its best to treat it separately. if you have a negative exponent for example, that's telling you that you've got to flip the fraction. if you have a negative with vectors, that has to do with direction.

another thing to remember is that -X isn't necessarily a negative number. if you plug -2 into that, you get a postive number. so, you aren't just putting a negative sign in front of everything, that negative symbol means you' get the opposite of whatever you put in.

Last edited: May 29, 2005
  5. May 29, 2005 #4
    Thanks for the clarification!

[tex]\phi[/tex]

The Rev

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook