Neglected terms in integral sum

In summary, neglected terms in integral sum refer to the terms that are often ignored or overlooked when calculating the value of an integral. These terms can significantly impact the accuracy of the integral and should not be disregarded. It is important to carefully consider all terms in an integral sum to ensure the most precise result. Neglecting terms can lead to errors and inaccuracies in mathematical calculations. Therefore, it is crucial to pay attention to all terms, no matter how small or seemingly insignificant they may be.
Mike_bb
Hello.

As is known, we can neglect high-order term in expression ##f(x+dx)-f(x)##. For ##y=x^2##: ##dy=2xdx+dx^2##, ##dy=2xdx##.

I read that infinitesimals have property: ##dx+dx^2=dx##

I tried to neglect high-order terms in integral sum (##dx^2## and ##4dx^2## and so on) and I obtained wrong result in the end.

IMG_20220727_0001.jpg

Where is my mistake?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Mike_bb said:
Hello.

As is known, we can neglect high-order term in expression ##f(x+dx)-f(x)##. For ##y=x^2##: ##dy=2xdx+dx^2##, ##dy=2xdx##.

I read that infinitesimals have property: ##dx+dx^2=dx##

I tried to neglect high-order terms in integral sum (##dx^2## and ##4dx^2## and so on) and I obtained wrong result in the end.

View attachment 304873

Where is my mistake?

Thanks.
I don't really understand what you've done. The ##dx## in an integral isn't an infinitesimal.

In fact, to be precise, there is no such thing as an "infinitesimal" in standard calculus. Although, there is the concept of the "differential" ##dx##.

The ##dx## in the integral is not a differential either, but a notation specific to integration.

PeroK said:
I don't really understand what you've done. The ##dx## in an integral isn't an infinitesimal.

In fact, to be precise, there is no such thing as an "infinitesimal" in standard calculus. Although, there is the concept of the "differential" ##dx##.

The ##dx## in the integral is not a differential either, but a notation specific to integration.
I read "A treatise on infinitesimal calculus" Bartholomew Price. Integral sum, for ##2xdx##:

1.jpg

• Informative
Likes PeroK
Okay. Infinitesimal calculus is not something I know anything about, I'm sorry to say!

Likes Mike_bb
@Mike_bb, what you're doing is evaluating the definite integral using a Riemann sum.
In post 1 you said this:
Mike_bb said:
For ##y = x^2, dy = 2xdx + dx^2, dy = 2xdx##
This doesn't make any sense to me. If the function is defined by the formula ##y = f(x) = x^2##, then by definition, the differential of f (df) or differential of y (dy) is given by ##dy = \frac{df}{dx} dx = 2xdx##. I don't see where you're getting the ##dx^2## term from.

In evaluating the def. integral ##\int_{x_0}^{x_n} x^2 dx##, the author of the book you're working from is using a Riemann sum to evaluate the integral. BTW, from the language used, my guess is that this is a very old textbook (maybe over 100 years old!). I would advise getting something a bit more modern and that uses illustrations.

The author's use of dx in the Riemann sum is not at all the way things are usually done these days. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Riemann_sum for a more modern explanation.

In the Riemann sum, the interval ##[x_0, x_n}## is divided into subintervals of equal length. This is usually written as ##\Delta x = \frac{x_n - x_0} n## and not as dx.

In each subinterval, an estimate is calculated of the area under the curve, within that subinterval, and then all n subintervals are added to get the total. This is easier to follow from a drawing, several of which are shown with examples in the wiki article I linked to.

• Informative
Likes PeroK

1. What are neglected terms in integral sum?

Neglected terms in integral sum refer to the terms in an integral that are deemed insignificant or small and are therefore ignored during calculations. These terms are often considered negligible compared to the dominant terms in the integral.

2. Why are neglected terms in integral sum important?

Neglected terms in integral sum are important because they can affect the accuracy and precision of the final result. Ignoring these terms can lead to errors in calculations and may result in an incorrect solution.

3. How do you determine which terms to neglect in an integral sum?

The decision to neglect terms in an integral sum is based on the concept of convergence. If a term becomes smaller and smaller as the integral approaches a certain value, it can be neglected. Additionally, terms with a higher degree of complexity are often neglected as they have a smaller impact on the overall result.

4. Can neglected terms in integral sum be significant in certain cases?

Yes, neglected terms in integral sum can be significant in certain cases. This is especially true when dealing with highly sensitive or precise calculations, where even the smallest errors can have a significant impact. In these cases, all terms should be considered and evaluated to ensure accuracy.

5. How can one minimize the impact of neglected terms in integral sum?

To minimize the impact of neglected terms in integral sum, it is important to carefully consider all terms and their potential impact on the final result. Additionally, using more advanced techniques such as numerical integration or increasing the number of intervals can help reduce the impact of neglected terms.