Can You Negotiate a Lower Pay to Compete in the Chemical Engineering Job Market?

• Thread starter 23415123451
  • Start date
In summary, The conversation discusses the challenges of staying competitive in the job market in the field of chemical engineering by possibly lowering one's desired salary. However, the group suggests not divulging desired salary on job applications and instead making the employer make the first move in terms of salary negotiation. They also mention the idea of volunteering as a way to get a foot in the door, but acknowledge that it may not always be successful.
I know that a lot of companies love hiring foreign workers who will work for next to nothing, and to stay competitive in the job market in the field I want to work in (chemical engineering), I know that I will need to lower my price even if I may be equally or better qualified than them. Is simply putting a low value on the "desired salary" section of job applications enough for that? Has anyone done things like this?

Physics news on Phys.org
23415123451 said:
I know that a lot of companies love hiring foreign workers who will work for next to nothing ...
Employers hiring foreign workers hired via the H1-B visa program must pay "prevailing wages" to those foreign employees.

... and to stay competitive in the job market in the field I want to work in (chemical engineering), ...
Are H1-B employees used much in chemical engineering? I suspect not. They're employed primarily in IT. Most of the knowledge IT employees gain during the 3 or 6 years while working in the US is obsolete when the visa expires. They can take that obsolete knowledge home with them. That's not the case with older fields such as chemical engineering. Decades old trade secrets are still quite valuable. Why would a chemical engineering firm hire someone who is going to eventually take all those trade secrets home to a place where US intellectual property law has no meaning?

... I know that I will need to lower my price even if I may be equally or better qualified than them.
I think you are imagining yourself being hit by pieces of falling sky.

Is simply putting a low value on the "desired salary" section of job applications enough for that? Has anyone done things like this?
Don't divulge your desired salary. Not on your resume, even less so on a job application. Just don't do it. Whichever entity (employer versus potential employee) first mentions salary loses the salary game. You want to win that game. Make them make the first move.

23415123451 said:
I know that a lot of companies love hiring foreign workers who will work for next to nothing, and to stay competitive in the job market in the field I want to work in (chemical engineering), I know that I will need to lower my price even if I may be equally or better qualified than them. Is simply putting a low value on the "desired salary" section of job applications enough for that? Has anyone done things like this?

I never have, but I have certainly thought about it. Generally I would be willing to work the jobs I apply at for a much lower salary than grads usually expect. But there is no real way to tell them that without looking like a loser.

D H said:
Don't divulge your desired salary. Not on your resume, even less so on a job application. Just don't do it. Whichever entity (employer versus potential employee) first mentions salary loses the salary game. You want to win that game. Make them make the first move.

Sounds good if you already have a career in the bag. But to get in the door you may need to make the first move or your application might just get thrown straight in the trash. One of the ways some people say they get their foot in the door is by volunteering. This is stating your desired salary is zero! lol I tried this at a community college once for tutoring, but it didnt work.

1. How can I negotiate for a lower pay without jeopardizing my job offer?

One way to negotiate for a lower pay without risking your job offer is to approach the conversation in a respectful and professional manner. Be prepared to explain your reasons for wanting a lower salary, such as your experience level or comparable salaries in the industry. You can also suggest alternative forms of compensation, such as a higher bonus or additional vacation time.

2. What are some effective strategies for negotiating for a lower pay?

Some effective strategies for negotiating for a lower pay include doing your research on industry standards and the company's financial situation, being confident and assertive in your communication, and emphasizing your unique skills and value to the company. It can also be helpful to have a specific number or range in mind and to be willing to compromise.

3. Is it appropriate to negotiate for a lower pay if I already agreed to a salary during the interview?

It is not uncommon for the salary negotiation process to continue after the initial interview. If you have new information or reasons for wanting a lower pay, it is appropriate to bring it up during the negotiation stage. However, it is important to be respectful and understanding if the company is unable to accommodate your request.

4. How can I negotiate for a lower pay if I have already signed a contract?

If you have signed a contract with a specific salary, it may be more difficult to negotiate for a lower pay. However, if you have a valid reason and approach the conversation professionally, the company may be willing to renegotiate the terms of the contract. It is important to be prepared for the possibility of the company not being able to make any changes.

5. Are there any risks involved in negotiating for a lower pay?

There is always a risk involved in any negotiation, but the risks can be minimized by approaching the conversation in a respectful and professional manner. Depending on the company's response, there is a possibility that negotiating for a lower pay could jeopardize the job offer. It is important to weigh the potential risks and benefits before deciding to negotiate for a lower pay.