Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Neighbour's music

1. Jul 22, 2009 #1
    My neighbour is playing their music far too loud and it's been going on for weeks.

Is there possible some way I could make something to screw with their radio from a-far? Only about 10 meters.

I could just ask them to turn it down, but that's not nearly as fun

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 22, 2009 #2
    When they are not by their radio, steal it.

It's gonna be funny.

4. Jul 22, 2009 #3

Ben Niehoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The police usually have a non-emergency number where you can file noise complaints. That's not as fun as having magic powers to screw with their radio, but it will shut them up.

Mind you, if you actually want to stay friendly with your neighbors, you should go yourself and ask them if they could turn it down.

5. Jul 22, 2009 #4

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Ack, noisy neighbors. I've owned my own house for ever, so never had to deal with it until I decided to move into an apartment a couple of years ago. The new people upstairs sound like a herd of elephants, but luckily there is no music or tv that I can hear and they go to bed early.

6. Jul 22, 2009 #5
    My son tells me there's a way you can interfere with the operation of a radio using a Glock.

7. Jul 22, 2009 #6

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Transmit your own radio signal on the same frequency (against FCC laws, by the way).

On the other hand, a glock will interfere with their CD player as well as their radio (strangely, there are no FCC regulations dealing with glocks).

8. Jul 22, 2009 #7
    Well, that depends. How many neighbors do you have, MrPickle? If you have a few or more you could simply play innocent and say you didn't do it if they ask. It'll be like a game of Clue -- only real life and no one gets beat to death with a candlestick!

9. Jul 22, 2009 #8
    You could go out and buy a 500 watt subwoofer, place it against the shared wall, turn off the speakers to your amp, and play rock or rap music (sans speakers) whenever they play their music too loud (you might want to go out for an hour or so, least the bass make you nauseous).

10. Jul 22, 2009 #9
    Are you sure they are actually playing music from the radio? I didn't know people still did this.

I like the glock idea. I vote for that.

11. Jul 22, 2009 #10
    Well, you could be nice about it and go with the "friendly neighbor" approach, but that wouldn't be any fun at all.

You could combat sound with a louder sound of your own, but I think that is kind of self defeating. Physically destroying their stuff is a good route to go, but could be difficult. Do you have access to their power supply? Shutting down their electricity every time they even think about turning it on would probably get your point across.

I say you combat an offense to your senses, with an offense to another of their senses. Find a discrete location with an influx of air (laundry outlet, vents, cracked window, chimney, drafty attic, etc...) and use that to pump in the most god-awe-full smelling substance you can muster up. If you can time it well with the music, then I think they will probably connect the dots.

If all else fails, you could just put their house up for sell for really cheap in the classifieds (Foreclosure Sale! Must Go!); and schedule an open house for the same time they usually play the radio.

12. Jul 22, 2009 #11

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The open house has some real merit. Likewise, if you can get their name (from their mailbox, perhaps), you sign them up for every free offer that generates loads of e-mail. The more offensive the free offer, the better.

I wouldn't dismiss combating with a louder sound so fast. You just need the right sound.

Buy an elliptical reflector dish and start dating a loud girl friend. How could creating a louder sound than your neighbors not be fun?

13. Jul 22, 2009 #12

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It's been going on for weeks and you haven't said anything to them yet? Maybe they've assumed the houses are all well insulated and it's not bothering the neighbors, since nobody has come over to say anything. If you don't say anything, how should they magically know it's bothering you? Save the evil plots against their radio or noses for after you let them know it's a problem if they continue doing it.

14. Jul 22, 2009 #13

Pengwuino

Gold Member

I agree, how childish. You haven't even talked to them? There are apartments that are well insulated and maybe you don't live in one of those such apartments and they may have before.

15. Jul 22, 2009 #14

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Weird...I thought this thread would be about something different.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5KeGccP9Jk

16. Jul 22, 2009 #15

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Surprise, surprise, surprise!

17. Jul 22, 2009 #16
    They're not apartments.

They're in their garden blasting it away. It's obviously to loud as they have to shout to talk to each other.

18. Jul 22, 2009 #17
    high pressure water hose

19. Jul 22, 2009 #18
    Stop being so passive aggressive, grow a pair, and talk to them about it if it's a legitimate problem.

However, I never understood why people have problem with other peoples music. When I hear music in my apartment coming from elsewhere, I either enjoy it or if I don't I just put my own music on or ignore it. I don't understand what the big deal is, since I like to be able to play my music loudly as well.

EDIT: Whenever I move into a new apartment, the first few days I play music louder than I usually would just to test out what my neighbors can handle. That way for the rest of the year I know how loud I can play my music without bothering them. If none of my neighbors come over and complain, then I assume there's no problem. If someone had never come up to me and told me my music is too loud, then tried to mess with my equipment, they would have serious problems coming to them.

20. Jul 22, 2009 #19
    I don't understand why loudness fascinate some people. It just give me headaches. My music is rarely audible to the person sitting a few distance away from me.

21. Jul 22, 2009 #20
    What kind of apartments have you been living in? I've worked at relatively nice places and no regular apartment walls, even well insulated, will stand up to music with heavy bass cranked up really loud. Not gonna happen.

At my job I am not at all nice to these people who blast their music and say "oh we're not being that loud are we?" Those people are the oblivious, immature, disrespectful, jack***es I have to go back and tell to shut up (though not in those words precisely) time and time again. They're the ones that don't get a hint until the cops have shown up a few times or they have had to pay a few fines.

My roomie was like this. No matter how many times I told him to turn down the TV or went and turned it down myself every single time he went and turned that TV on he cranked the volume all the way up.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook