Neptune: Beauty Beyond Our Standard Eyes

• B
  • Thread starter Omega0
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Beauty
In summary: Whereas Neptune feels more like the sky. Interesting comparison.In summary, the picture you got may be real, but it depends on the eyes of the observer. Higher power eyepieces may reveal more detail on Neptune, but it is still a beautiful deep blue color.
Omega0
Personally, I would say I am a Neptune fan. This planet is extreme. Temperature, wind speed etc. I love this beautiful deep blue light from so many fotos. Some white clouds on the top, so lovely.
My question: How real is the picture I got? What if I am as a human 1 million kilometers away, how does the planet look for me? Say, I have "standard eyes", a mean value.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Omega0 said:
Personally, I would say I am a Neptune fan. This planet is extreme. Temperature, wind speed etc. I love this beautiful deep blue light from so many fotos. Some white clouds on the top, so lovely.
My question: How real is the picture I got? What if I am as a human 1 million kilometers away, how does the planet look for me? Say, I have "standard eyes", a mean value.
Google Neptune and Voyager 2.

https://www.universetoday.com/21642/pictures-of-neptune/

Webb may get images too at some point.

pinball1970 said:
Webb may get images too at some point
But it will be in the IR and not the "real" the OP desires.

Vanadium 50 said:
But it will be in the IR and not the "real" the OP desires.
Yes. I will check HST and feedback.

Omega0 said:
I have not seen your image.
You may like this,

I've observed Neptune visually, using my telescope and an eyepiece. (That way it's not subject to the response of the camera sensor or the digital media used to display the image.) I can say that although it is appears as only a small disk (very small angular diameter), it retains a very beautiful shade of blue.

• Informative
Likes Math100, DennisN, Omega0 and 1 other person
collinsmark said:
I've observed Neptune visually, using my telescope and an eyepiece.
What diameter had your lens or mirror?
collinsmark said:
I can say that although it is appears as only a small disk (very small angular diameter), it retains a very beautiful shade of blue.
Would you describe as a darker blue or more a light tone?

Omega0 said:
What diameter had your lens or mirror?

Would you describe as a darker blue or more a light tone?
10" (ten inch, i.e., 254 mm) Meade LX200-ACF. Native focal length: 2540 mm (@ f/10)

Various eyepieces from ~24 mm to 8 mm. A 2x Powermate (think of it as a Barlow lens) may have been involved too. So magnifications from around ~100x to ~500x.

Viewing with a lower power eyepiece brings a higher probability of having background stars in the field of view, allowing you to get a good comparison between the color of Neptune and the color of other stars in view. In that case, the brilliant blue of Neptune is unmistakable.

A higher power eyepiece will of course make Neptune's disk look a little bigger. But even at 10", my setup is not big enough to resolve any weather on Neptune. It still looks blue though. But without any background stars for comparison, it's difficult to judge how blue it actually is, since your eyes adjust to the color. But it's pretty deep blue, comparitively speaking anyway.

All that said, Neptune is a really beautiful shade of blue. It's difficult to put into words, except to say it's breathtaking.

For comparison, Uranus is bigger and brighter, and also blue, but Uranus's blue is closer to sky-blue. Slewing to Neptune, you'll see a smaller/dimmer object, but that Neptune blue just takes your breath away.

Last edited:
  • Love
Likes Omega0
collinsmark said:
10" (ten inch, i.e., 254 mm) Meade LX200-ACF. Native focal length: 2540 mm (@ f/10)

Various eyepieces from ~24 mm to 8 mm. A 2x Powermate (think of it as a Barlow lens) may have been involved too. So magnifications from around ~100x to ~500x.
Nice hardware. I just have an 4'' refractor but better than nothing.
collinsmark said:
Viewing with a lower power eyepiece brings a higher probability of having background stars in the field of view, allowing you to get a good comparison between the color of Neptune and the color of other stars in view. In that case, the brilliant blue of Neptune is unmistakable.
Thanks, this makes very much sense.
collinsmark said:
But without any background stars for comparison, it's difficult to judge how blue it actually is, since your eyes adjust to the color. But it's pretty deep blue, comparitively speaking anyway.
I understand, this is a good hint for observation. Psychology plays a big role for visual perception, for example.
collinsmark said:
For comparison, Uranus is bigger and brighter, and also blue, but Uranus's blue is closer to sky-blue. Slewing to Neptune, you'll see a smaller/dimmer object, but that Neptune blue just takes your breath away.
Yeah, I believe that Uranus is really felt as sort of the underdog in our solar system (I think about the movie "The Farthest"). Something like being in a loser club with Venus or so. Nevertheless, I'll try to see Uranus first and in the future, I'll see what I can do to improve my hardware.
Thanks for your detailed information.

Likes pinball1970 and collinsmark

1. What is Neptune?

Neptune is the eighth and farthest known planet from the Sun in our Solar System. It is classified as a gas giant and is the fourth largest planet by diameter.

2. What makes Neptune unique?

Neptune is known for its beautiful blue color, caused by the absorption of red light by methane in its atmosphere. It also has the fastest winds in the Solar System, reaching speeds of up to 1,300 miles per hour.

3. How far is Neptune from the Sun?

Neptune is approximately 2.8 billion miles away from the Sun, making it the most distant planet in our Solar System.

4. What is the composition of Neptune?

Neptune is primarily composed of hydrogen and helium, with traces of methane and other hydrocarbons. It also has a rocky core surrounded by a thick layer of icy materials.

5. How many moons does Neptune have?

Neptune has 14 known moons, the largest of which is Triton. These moons are thought to be captured objects from the Kuiper Belt, a region beyond Neptune's orbit.