Nerd lover!

• Thread starter bd7878
  • Start date
bd7878
I always get asked out by these alpha male wall street types, but I really dig men who are very smart and somewhat dorky! I know this is a bizarre ask, but how do I attract these types of men - in that where are they?

I live in NYC and run in a somewhat superficial crowd - but I really am interested in ending up with a man of science. I am the type of girl who gets noticed - tall, blond + attractive - not bragging just thought that might be part of it. Often people tell me that I am nicer than they thought I would be?? I may look like a mean girl but I really am not.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated and please take this in the spirit is intended - I am asking for advice not trying to sound stuck on myself.

Answers and Replies

goto xkcd.org
make T shirt of any cartoon
only talk to men who understand the joke

bd7878
also the issue is not my intelligence - i was in the G+T in school (98%) growing up and am very smart

Evo
Mentor
I live in NYC and run in a somewhat superficial crowd .
I think that answers your question. Why are you in that type of crowd if that's not the type of person you want to be with?

bd7878
I work in entertainment PR - I go to events and things like that. I am asking for ideas on places or activities that will put me in more contact with the type of person I am interested in.

Math Is Hard
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Cronxeh sure picked a fine time to disappear. He's in NYC, and he loves blondes.

Evo
Mentor
I work in entertainment PR - I go to events and things like that. I am asking for ideas on places or activities that will put me in more contact with the type of person I am interested in.
Do you have any academic or scientific interests that you could get involved in?

Honestly, there is no particular place intelligent people hang out socially. I think you will find that the people here are quite a diverse crowd, some go to libraries and others are into extreme sports.

NYC should have colleges which will be good places to meet those kind of people .. ? Co-incidentally I was searching universities in NYC and believe there are some.

Go to a coffeehouse and read a scientist biography. I'd be intrigued anyway (because I've never seen a blond girl do that).

DaveC426913
Gold Member
goto xkcd.org
make T shirt of any cartoon
only talk to men who understand the joke
:rofl:

DaveC426913
Gold Member
1. Go to PF.
2. Say hi.

bd7878
i appreciate all your ideas - thanks keep them coming

lisab
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
NYC should have colleges which will be good places to meet those kind of people .. ? Co-incidentally I was searching universities in NYC and believe there are some.
Find a nearby university and go to a seminar - they're free. You can find a schedule on the department website.

Find a nearby university and go to a seminar - they're free. You can find a schedule on the department website.
I might be in NYC for few months and thus was finding few courses there :smile:

OP enroll in a physics course!

bd7878
i have been out of uni for almost a decade though... i do love physics and find it so interesting, but i'm not qualified in any capacity to take classes?

Evo
Mentor
If you're in NY, carry small cans of sardines, physicists love them.

bd7878
thanks - i knew there must be some easy solution... should i bring crackers as well?

lisab
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
thanks - i knew there must be some easy solution... should i bring crackers as well?
:rofl:

Evo
Mentor
Can't hurt.

Actually 2 physicists that are mentors here, in the NY area, love sardines, one eats them every day.

You never know what it takes. I dated a three time Oscar winning film director because I mentioned I like Irish music.

Last edited:
Borek
Mentor
Honestly, there is no particular place intelligent people hang out socially.
How come? So what are we doing here?

How come? So what are we doing here?
Lol, no (I'd like to insert a four-letter explicative, here, but can't, due to my respect for the forum decorum).

(holds head in hands for 2 minutes while contemplating answer...)

(gets up to tend to rice pilaf for breakfast, whether to crack an egg into the mix or not)

(cracks an egg into it, adds salt and other spices)

It's now 5:50 in the morning. Is this really what we nerds do on Sundays?

I took too long, so it's now 6:01 in the morning.

I miss her. I hurt. It's why I'm up at 6 am on Sunday.

Last edited:
Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Hmm...I always thought NYC was a great place to meet somewhat geeky guys, mainly because it's one of those places where people stay single longer while building their career first, or else put so much time into their careers that those who married young get divorced young too. Don't be fooled by appearances...some of them have learned how to dress well and get good paying jobs in places like Wall Street. :wink: You might just need to get to know some of those who are asking you out a bit better than you've given them a chance. In big social crowds, a lot of people talk about superficial things, because it keeps them from saying something that will offends someone else, especially if they're trying to build business contacts.

Though, in NYC, it's not so much where you go out as when. If you want to catch the single guys who work in the city and have some brains, you need to join the after-work crowd at the bars...or more realistically, the out for dinner and a drink to network before heading back to the office crowd. The Thursday late-night-party crowds are all the tourists and college students from NJ (and not usually the geeky ones). Same bars, different times of day.

Solve this problem: Three fishermen had caught a load of fish in a collaborative effort and decided to split it evenly. However, when the first fisherman came to collect his share, he noticed that the number of fish was not divisible by three and that he had to throw one fish to make it so. He did that and took one third of the remaining fish. The other two fishermen, not being aware of their partners' actions, noticed and did the same thing. What is the smallest number of caught fish that would make this scenario possible?

I am the type of girl who gets noticed - tall, blond + attractive - ...
Pics or its not true.

turbo
Gold Member
Get involved in some PF discussions, discover some commonalities, and get a bit closer. If you have a college nearby, as basil suggested, get out to seminars, scheduled talks, etc. No cover-charge, no minimum, and you might meet some decent guys.