Is the term nerdy used as a derogatory label hindering our society's progress?

• Thread starter avant-garde
  • Start date
In summary, the term "nerdy" is used to describe someone who is intelligent, but not social, and may be a little naive.
avant-garde
"Nerdy" as derogatory

A society that treats the smartest, most cultivated few as "nerdy" rather than looking up to them as the "wise"... can it prosper for long?

Physics news on Phys.org

There is a difference between 'wise', 'intelligent', and 'nerdy'.

While nerds are often intelligent they may well not be wise and while the nerdy may be intelligent the intelligent are not always nerdy. The term generally implies a lack of social skills and perhaps even a level of naivete in many less than intellectual matters. Would you not equally look up to (or down on) the 'dumb jock' who does the work on your car?

TheStatutoryApe said:
There is a difference between 'wise', 'intelligent', and 'nerdy'.

While nerds are often intelligent they may well not be wise and while the nerdy may be intelligent the intelligent are not always nerdy. The term generally implies a lack of social skills and perhaps even a level of naivete in many less than intellectual matters. Would you not equally look up to (or down on) the 'dumb jock' who does the work on your car?

This.

Book smarts does not equate to social 'smarts' or street smarts. I have met some book smart people that are dumb as all get out.

An open question:

Compare "nerd" to "pimp," "jock," "head," "hick," "punk" or "snob" (and all of the other high school epithets) - which would you prefer being called?

The derogatory nerd is not an insult aimed at academically intelligent people, but rather an insult aimed at people who are socially retarded. There's also cases where people want you to go out for whiskey and white women with them, so they try to discourage you from studying by trivializing your efforts, but that's not a genuine use of the word nerd...

So what is the difference between "nerd" and "geek"? hmm...

Wait I think I already know. Nerds are socially awkward and try to be brainy. Geeks seem to be socially awkward but don't try to be intelligent (such as star wars "nerds").

Pengwuino said:
So what is the difference between "nerd" and "geek"? hmm...

Wait I think I already know. Nerds are socially awkward and try to be brainy. Geeks seem to be socially awkward but don't try to be intelligent (such as star wars "nerds").

The way I usually define them and the way most people seem to see them...

Nerds- Highly intelligent and interested/involved in maths and the sciences. Oblivious on the matter of social skills and often somewhat anti-social.

Geeks- Fanboys (or girls) who are obsessed with one or more types of 'geek culture' such as comic books, video games, computers, ect. May or may not have social skills.

Dorks- People completely lacking in social skills but who try really hard to be social and most often just annoy people.

TheStatutoryApe said:

Nerds- Highly intelligent and interested/involved in maths and the sciences. Oblivious on the matter of social skills and often somewhat anti-social.

Geeks- Fanboys (or girls) who are obsessed with one or more types of 'geek culture' such as comic books, video games, computers, ect. May or may not have social skills.

Dorks- People completely lacking in social skills but who try really hard to be social and most often just annoy people.

yeah, my stereotyping is similar to that, but I think I judge more by the sound of the word than the common use (though I wouldn't be surprised if they were somehow correlated):

Nerds don't seem to care so much about what other people think and can sometimes be "elitist" towards social customs. The connotation of the word is gentle, humble, carefree, maybe even cute.

Geeks are basically fanatics of the type of hobbies that lack the blue-collar feel (i.e. not sports or cars, for instance.) The connotation of geek is somewhat mundane.

Dork seems more like a creepy/awkward type of nerd. I don't know if there's a positive use for dork. The connotation is terrible and reminds me of another four letter word...

What are the people called who try to sound smart by, for example, using uncommon words you almost never hear in everyday conversation (And you know they know most people aren't going to know what that word means, yet they use it anyway. Sometimes they'll even pause after that word to allow someone to question what that word means)? Those are usually the people who aren't very smart, but they're trying to fit in with some kind of intellectual crowd by acting smart.

leroyjenkens said:
What are the people called who try to sound smart by, for example, using uncommon words you almost never hear in everyday conversation ...

Pompous asses.

TheStatutoryApe said:

I like these definitions, and I also like how they are organized in order of decreasing intelligence. Expanding upon this slightly we can form the complete spectrum,

Genius - A person so intelligent that they had to be gifted with superior abilities in addition to being studious and intelligent. No anti-social behavior implied, and they actually get respect for it.

Nerd - Highly intelligent and interested/involved in maths and the sciences. Oblivious on the matter of social skills and often somewhat anti-social.

Geek - Fanboys (or girls) who are obsessed with one or more types of 'geek culture' such as comic books, video games, computers, ect. May or may not have social skills.

Dork - People completely lacking in social skills but who try really hard to be social and most often just annoy people.

Retard - Someone so annoyingly dumb that you question their mental ability

junglebeast said:
Dork - People completely lacking in social skills but who try really hard to be social and most often just annoy people.

my girlfriend calls me a dork. hmmmm. looks like i have to smack a *****?

"Nerd" is a derogatory term?! I don't think so! Otherwise, why do all my friends call me a nerd?

"Geek" is a carnival worker that bites the heads off of live chickens.

"Doork" is a person who pulls on the door when the sign clearly says "Push".

Sorry! said:
my girlfriend calls me a dork. hmmmm. looks like i have to smack a *****?

Well in that case it's more of a pet name like "you silly goose", but I do recommend that you continue to smack that ***.

Nerd can be thought of as antisocial
Geek is someone who is very passionate/knowledgeable in non-socially acceptable areas.

For instance, all of us can probably rightfully be called Physics Geeks. :D
But are not necessarily nerds or dorks. Although I myself am probably a bit of a nerd as well.

Nerd is sort of like the n-word. Yeah, it used to be derogatory, but now it's "our word". It's ok if you call me that.

KingOfChaos said:
This.

Book smarts does not equate to social 'smarts' or street smarts. I have met some book smart people that are dumb as all get out.

i am one of those people, i got straight A's in math courses etc... B's in english etc.. but when it comes to talking in a crowd i am... pretyy much crap as i am so shy. and same with girls i lack social skills needed to speak with them but what can i say I'm nervous also street smarts i have some street smarts if i was to live like a bum

Same here. I find the best thing to do though if you are one of those people is to just embrace your inner nerd / geek.
So even though others may see "nerd" as derogatory, I would be proud to be called one.

What would physics be without nerds?

I think the thread has been joking about nerds so far

BobG said:
"Nerd" is a derogatory term?! I don't think so! Otherwise, why do all my friends call me a nerd?

"Geek" is a carnival worker that bites the heads off of live chickens.

"Doork" is a person who pulls on the door when the sign clearly says "Push".

The word "dork," as used in a typical conversation at my work:

"I'd love to go to Australia someday!"

"Did you know that Australia has more camels than any other country on Earth?"

Long pause, steady eye contact.

"Yes, of course I knew that, do you think I'm an idiot?!?"

"You're such a dork."

And yes we're all adults...sort of.

lisab said:
The word "dork," as used in a typical conversation at my work:

"I'd love to go to Australia someday!"

"Did you know that Australia has more camels than any other country on Earth?"

Long pause, steady eye contact.

"Yes, of course I knew that, do you think I'm an idiot?!?"

"You're such a dork."

And yes we're all adults...sort of.

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

What does the term "nerdy" mean?

The term "nerdy" is often used to describe someone who is deeply interested or knowledgeable in academic or intellectual pursuits, particularly in subjects like science, technology, engineering, and math.

Is the term "nerdy" always used as a derogatory label?

No, the term "nerdy" can be used in a positive or neutral way to describe someone's interests or personality. However, it can also be used as a derogatory label to mock or belittle someone for being intelligent or interested in "nerdy" subjects.

How does the use of the term "nerdy" hinder our society's progress?

The use of the term "nerdy" as a derogatory label can create a negative stigma around intelligence and intellectual pursuits. This can discourage people from pursuing careers or interests in STEM fields, hindering our society's progress in these important areas.

What can we do to combat the negative connotations of the term "nerdy"?

We can start by recognizing and challenging the use of the term "nerdy" as a derogatory label. Encouraging and celebrating intelligence and diversity in interests can also help combat the negative connotations associated with the term.

Is there a more inclusive term we can use instead of "nerdy"?

Some alternative terms that have been suggested include "geeky," "smart," and "intellectual." However, it's important to remember that labels are not necessary and we should strive to appreciate and value all individuals for their unique interests and qualities, without assigning them a specific label.