1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Nernst Equation Problem

1. Mar 26, 2010 #1
    This problem is homework from a lab I did yesterday. Normally I would just ask my TA, but since it's homework I can't. I could email him, but I feel like I'll probably get a faster response if I post this here

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Use the Nernst equation to determine the cell potential for the cell involving Ag+. This is from a voltaic cell I made using a copper anode and CuSO4 solution and a silver cathode and AgNO3, with a KNO3 solution as a salt bridge. I used a multimeter to calculate the cell potentials for other cells I built (using other metal cathodes and relevant solutions) because their concentrations were 1M, standard conditions. The AgNO3 was 0.1M so I need to use the Nernst equation to calculate cell potential (assuming all other factors, ex. temperature were standard).

Measured potential for the cell: -0.390V
    Given oxidation potential for the copper half reaction: +0.34V

2. Relevant equations
    The Nernst Equation:

E[tex]_{cell}[/tex] = E[tex]^{o}[/tex][tex]_{cell}[/tex] + 0.0592V(mol)/n * log[tex]_{10}[/tex]Q

Half reaction at the cathode:

Ag+(aq) + e- -> Ag(s), since [Ag+] = 0.1M, Q and n will both be 0.1

3. The attempt at a solution
    Honestly, this comes down to me not understanding what the terms mean. I just started electrochemistry and I haven't been able to find a decent explanation of the terms online.

I'm not sure whether I need to solve for E[tex]^{o}[/tex][tex]_{cell}[/tex] (I did and got -0.982V) or E[tex]_{cell}[/tex] (I got +0.202V). Solving for E[tex]^{o}[/tex][tex]_{cell}[/tex] makes more sense, given my answer, since I know that silver is a poor reducing agent. It should give a negative answer of fairly high magnitude in relation to the other cells, which it did.

Basically what I'm asking is, E[tex]^{o}[/tex][tex]_{cell}[/tex] is the quantity I'm looking for...right? Is E[tex]_{cell}[/tex] the measured potential for a cell under non-standard conditions? Also, is my answer for E[tex]^{o}[/tex][tex]_{cell}[/tex] of a reasonable magnitude? Thanks.

EDIT: Looks like my subscripts were messed up somehow. I'm pretty sure you'll be able to figure out what I meant though.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 27, 2010 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

No, you are looking for Ecell of a silver half cell. E0cell you can take from standard potential tables.

Q is 0.1, that's OK, but n is not.

Once you have Ecell of silver half cell, you can calculate E for whole cell.

--
    methods

4. Mar 28, 2010 #3
    Okay, so for the whole cell, n would be 1.1 mol then? My lab manual says that n is the total amount (in moles) of electrons transferred, so I just add the 0.1 to the 1 from the CuSO4, correct?

5. Mar 28, 2010 #4

Borek

Staff: Mentor

No, n is amount of electrons transferred in the half cell reaction. It is always an integer.

--

6. Mar 28, 2010 #5
    Ah okay, looking back on it that makes a lot more sense than what I have. Thanks a lot for the help.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook