Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Nerve cells

1. Apr 26, 2005 #1
    Nerve cells helps transfering information and creating our perceptions, then some perceptions will be stored in our memory, but why are there only "some" not all perceptions ? :confused:
    My books says so...
    Sorry for newb question, I am new with brain and head.
    Thank you
    Chuck Jones

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 26, 2005 #2
    It might help if you phrased your question a bit better and used more formal language, but that's quite excusable =)

I think you're being a bit too picky about what your book reads; the simple answer would be that you don't possibly remember every perception that you experience; you only store certain memories, not all of them.

4. Apr 26, 2005 #3

JamesU

Gold Member

he's asking, "why?". :rofl:

5. Apr 26, 2005 #4
    I am sorry my english is bad,
    Yes, i am asking why...
    and plus, what will be most memorised and how to know discover it if I am not the one to have such perceptions ?

6. Apr 26, 2005 #5
    its reinforcement (positive OR negative..but many factors are involved)....sort of like honing a skill OR sometimes associating yourself with the situation in a peculiar way.
    This changes what happens in your brain(HEBB learning)

Like if you wanna play bball what do you do...you take 100s-1000s of shots till you perfect a method....for studying ....some people use cue cards others make rhymes.

Now as i understand the question your asking why not remmeber everything...becuase hte brain evolves synapses(associations) are broken or used for other stuff...
    Also You only have a certain 1number neurons in your brain 100x10^12...alot of it has to do with balancing/regulating the body's system. Look up the Hippocampus thats where long term memory is stored and its pretty small part of the brain. But either way the brain is dynamic(not a physics circuit system) its always changing...and can't handle all the memories you come across your life...if your 20 thats like 20*365days*24hrs*3600s *(1000ms) = ~10x10^(10-11) Thats the number of milliseconds you'd exist at the age of 20. So if you made a memory each millisecond that means there would be ~100neurons to handle a memory...But remmeber this memory stores alot of info...

7. Apr 26, 2005 #6

DocToxyn

Science Advisor

Are you trying find out how certain experiences or images are consolidated or formed into memory and why some and not others?

You may not be completely satisfied with the answers you receive. We are still investigating the regions of the brain that are believed to be sites of learning and memory, for example, the hippocampus. It get complicated because the regions of the brain rarely operate as separate units, there is a lot of communication and processing as one region accepts the signal and passes it to the next. Depending on how the information was received, vision, touch, smell, proprioception, it goes through different paths and sets off different reactions depending on what the brain determines the appropriate response should be.

As far as which experiences become memory, that has to do with conversion of short-term to long-term memory, again another process we are still beginning to understand. Formation of new connections, or synapses, are believed to be a morphological markers of new memory, but selection of which memory is retained and where is not well understood. Sorry I can't get more specific than this, perhaps some others can add and if I get some more info, I'll post again.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?