Why Anchoring Battery Racks to Floor & Wall is Not Recommended

In summary, it is not recommended to anchor a battery rack to both the floor and the wall because in earthquake zones, the wall and floor can move relative to each other, potentially tearing the rack apart. Additionally, if the rack is very strong, it can cause damage to the building by stopping part of the wall from moving.
MitYeltu
I am working on putting a new battery rack into a substation. I was re-reading the NESC and came across section 143. This section suggests it is not recommended to anchor my rack to both the floor and the wall. Can anyone explain why this is not recommended?

Engineering news on Phys.org
If you are in an earthquake zone, the wall and floor could move relative to each other in minor quakes.
This could tear your rack apart if it was connected to both of them.

vk6kro said:
If you are in an earthquake zone, the wall and floor could move relative to each other in minor quakes.
This could tear your rack apart if it was connected to both of them.

Brilliant. I learn something new every dang day here on the PF.

That makes sense. I hadn't thought about that, but I agree now that I have. Now, don't be angry for my asking it this way, but, is that the NESC reason for not attaching it to both? I have not seen that specified anywhere.

It could work the other way, too.

If the rack was very strong, it could stop part of the wall moving and cause damage to the building.

1. Why is anchoring battery racks to the floor and wall not recommended?

Anchoring battery racks to the floor and wall is not recommended because it can create a potential hazard for the batteries and those working with them. If the anchoring is not done properly or the racks are not strong enough, it can lead to the racks collapsing and causing damage or injuries.

2. What are the risks associated with anchoring battery racks?

The risks associated with anchoring battery racks include potential damage to the batteries, risk of fire or explosion, and the possibility of injury to those working with the batteries. If the anchoring is not done correctly, it can also compromise the structural integrity of the building.

3. Are there any alternatives to anchoring battery racks to the floor and wall?

Yes, there are alternative methods for securing battery racks that are recommended by industry experts. These include using non-permanent methods such as ratchet straps or steel banding, or using a specially designed seismic restraint system.

4. Is it necessary to anchor battery racks in all types of buildings?

While it is always recommended to secure battery racks for safety reasons, it may not be necessary to anchor them in all types of buildings. Some buildings, such as those with reinforced concrete floors, may already have a strong enough structure to support the weight of the battery racks without anchoring. It is important to consult with a structural engineer to determine the best method for securing battery racks in a specific building.

5. What are the potential consequences of not following recommended guidelines for anchoring battery racks?

If recommended guidelines for anchoring battery racks are not followed, there is a higher risk of damage to the batteries, potential fire or explosion hazards, and the possibility of injury to those working with the batteries. In addition, not following guidelines can lead to non-compliance with safety standards and regulations, which can result in penalties and potential lawsuits.