Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Nessie hunting season

1. Nov 13, 2005 #1

Mk

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051111/ap_on_re_eu/sweden_lake_monster

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 16, 2005 #2
    That's a weird legal problem I'm glad I don't have to sort out: Is it proper to legally protect a species that has never been proven to exist?

It is against the law to shoot a bigfoot in a couple US states. Suppose someone shot one. How could the law prove it was a "bigfoot" that had been shot? There is no scientific documentation of what a bigfoot consists of to point to and say "The dead beast has been given a thorough verternary and biological examination and fits all the criteria. It is a bigfoot." There are no such criteria on record that I'm aware of.

4. Nov 20, 2005 #3

Curious3141

Homework Helper

I guess that's what Cryptozoology PhDs are for. :rofl:

5. Nov 20, 2005 #4

matthyaouw

Gold Member

It's only fair game if they shoot it by accident. Once they see it and confirm its existance, it's endangered again :tongue:

6. Nov 29, 2005 #5
    I'm leaving for Scotland in two and a half weeks, and I am staying in Loch Ness for a few nights. I promise to return with many blurry inconclusive photographs

7. Nov 29, 2005 #6
    You should snap some blurry and inconclusive ghost photos as well: it's one of the most "haunted" countries on earth. The streets of Edinburgh they say, are paved with ectoplasm.

8. Nov 29, 2005 #7

matthyaouw

Gold Member

If you can snap some blurry and inconclusive photographs of a Nessie ghost I'd be impressed.

That conjours a horrific image, it really does... :yuck:

Anyway, the Highlands are beautiful! Enjoy yourself! (And visit the west coast/Skye if you can. It has the best scenery.)

9. Nov 29, 2005 #8
    Sorry. No image occured to me when I wrote it except that of Ghost Tour organizers collecting fees from camera laden tourists.

10. Nov 29, 2005 #9

matthyaouw

Gold Member

Not a fan of ghost stories eh?
    They can, with a bit of imagination, be a bit of harmless fun IMO, but the majority of "spooky happenings" aren't worth much attention. (There is an exception or two, but I won't go into that now.)

11. Nov 29, 2005 #10
    I'm just poking fun at the fact that Edinburgh has turned itself into a tourist trap for ghost fans. I saw a program about this on the Travel Channel.

12. Nov 29, 2005 #11

matthyaouw

Gold Member

It has? Didn't realise that. York on the other hand...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?