Exploring a Career in Nuclear Engineering

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of joining NEST (Nuclear Emergency Support Team) and the qualifications and experience needed to do so. The speaker expresses their interest in nuclear physics and hands-on work, but is unsure if they would enjoy a career in Nuclear Engineering. The suggested route to join NEST includes getting a PhD in a related field, gaining experience in remote nuclear detection, and impressing key individuals.
jefswat
Does anyone know anything about getting on these teams or even what they do. Everything I've been able to find more or less says they respond to nuclear incidents.

I like physics but I don't what to be a professor, and I'll finish a degree in Civil Engineering and I hate engineering. I'm looking to do something more hands on. I'm not sure I would like Nuclear Engineering as a career, but I think it was by far the coolest part of my quantum mechanics class whenever we talked about it. I was tempted to post this in the Nuclear physics section but figured it would get moved here anyway.

Thanks,

Jeff

Physics news on Phys.org
Your best bet for getting on to NEST:

• Get a PhD in nuclear physics or a remote nuclear detection related field.
  • Work for NTS or one of the pertinent national labs (LANL, LLNL, SNL, etc.) in a remote detection area for 5-10 years.
  • Impress the right people.

Last edited:

1. What is nuclear engineering?

Nuclear engineering involves the study and application of nuclear energy, radiation, and the processes involved in nuclear reactions. This field combines principles from physics, engineering, and materials science to develop technologies and processes for the production and use of nuclear energy.

2. What types of careers are available in nuclear engineering?

Nuclear engineering offers a wide range of career opportunities, including roles in nuclear power plants, research and development, nuclear waste management, and nuclear medicine. Other potential career paths include nuclear safety and regulatory compliance, nuclear fuel cycle management, and nuclear materials handling.

3. What skills are necessary for a career in nuclear engineering?

A strong foundation in mathematics and physics is essential for a career in nuclear engineering. Other important skills include critical thinking, problem-solving, and attention to detail. Good communication and teamwork skills are also important, as nuclear engineers often work in multidisciplinary teams.

4. What are the educational requirements for a career in nuclear engineering?

Most nuclear engineering positions require at least a bachelor's degree in engineering, with a focus on nuclear engineering or a related field such as mechanical or electrical engineering. Some positions may also require a master's degree or PhD in nuclear engineering.

5. What are the current trends and advancements in nuclear engineering?

Some current trends in nuclear engineering include the development of advanced reactor designs, such as small modular reactors and fusion reactors. There is also a growing focus on nuclear waste management and the development of new materials for use in nuclear reactors. Additionally, advancements in digital technologies and automation are being applied to improve safety and efficiency in nuclear power plants.