1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Nested Exponents

1. Nov 22, 2012 #1
    Hello everyone, I have stumbled across a curious question while programming.

To start the process, say I have a a positive integer greater than one: α0
    Nesting that in an exponent is a simple operation and a common occurrence: α0α1
    1 is also a positive integer greater than 1. In fact, all numbers mentioned in this problem of mine are in that given set)

But then I run into a problem when I nest this number with yet another exponent: α0α1α2
    See, the exponent for me is calculated from right to left, so I can't simply store α0α1 into memory and then set that to the α2 power, because that only works on operators that are calculated left to right.

So my question is this: Given a chain of nested exponents α0α1α2...αn, is there a closed form means to determine α0α1α2...αnαn+1 without having to recalculate the exponents from right to left?

I apologize if this is the wrong place to ask, but as a programmer, nested exponents are causing me a headache, because I have to spend n operations to calculate the nested exponent every time I nest it. While not completely slow, I would enjoy a faster means of computing this. I am also aware my question might not seem completely clear, so please ask for clarifications if you require any.

Thanks for your time.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 22, 2012 #2

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Try reviewing rules of exponents using some simple example.

Find [itex]2^{{3}^{2}^{5}}[/itex]. Try doing the exponents from right to left; and also try doing from left to right. See what results.

format tags not working right. 2^3^2^5
    Using TexAide: [itex]\[
    2^{3^{2^5 } }
    \]
    [/itex]

[STRIKE]Should be the same as [itex]2^{3*2*5}[/itex][/STRIKE]Obviuos mistake. That would not be result of the nesting. See next member's post.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2012
  4. Nov 22, 2012 #3

rcgldr

Homework Helper

By nesting the OP means 2^(3^4) = 2^81 = 2417851639229258349412352, this is different than (2^3)^4 = 8^4 = 4096.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook