Solving Nested Exponents - A Programmer's Headache

• Thread starter zyflair
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Exponents
In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulties of nesting exponents in programming and asks if there is a faster way to calculate nested exponents without recalculating them from right to left. The conversation also includes a suggestion to review rules of exponents using simple examples.
zyflair
Hello everyone, I have stumbled across a curious question while programming.

To start the process, say I have a a positive integer greater than one: α0
Nesting that in an exponent is a simple operation and a common occurrence: α0α1
1 is also a positive integer greater than 1. In fact, all numbers mentioned in this problem of mine are in that given set)

But then I run into a problem when I nest this number with yet another exponent: α0α1α2
See, the exponent for me is calculated from right to left, so I can't simply store α0α1 into memory and then set that to the α2 power, because that only works on operators that are calculated left to right.

So my question is this: Given a chain of nested exponents α0α1α2...αn, is there a closed form means to determine α0α1α2...αnαn+1 without having to recalculate the exponents from right to left?

I apologize if this is the wrong place to ask, but as a programmer, nested exponents are causing me a headache, because I have to spend n operations to calculate the nested exponent every time I nest it. While not completely slow, I would enjoy a faster means of computing this. I am also aware my question might not seem completely clear, so please ask for clarifications if you require any.

Thanks for your time.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Try reviewing rules of exponents using some simple example.

Find [itex]2^{{3}^{2}^{5}}[/itex]. Try doing the exponents from right to left; and also try doing from left to right. See what results.

format tags not working right. 2^3^2^5
Using TexAide: [itex]\[
2^{3^{2^5 } }
\]
[/itex]

[STRIKE]Should be the same as [itex]2^{3*2*5}[/itex][/STRIKE]Obviuos mistake. That would not be result of the nesting. See next member's post.

Last edited:
symbolipoint said:
Try reviewing rules of exponents using some simple example.
By nesting the OP means 2^(3^4) = 2^81 = 2417851639229258349412352, this is different than (2^3)^4 = 8^4 = 4096.

1. What are nested exponents?

Nested exponents are exponents that are placed within other exponents, creating a chain of exponents. For example, (2^3)^2 would be considered a nested exponent.

2. Why are nested exponents considered a programmer's headache?

Nested exponents can be difficult to solve and can lead to complex and lengthy equations, making them a headache for programmers who need to write efficient and concise code.

3. How can nested exponents be solved?

To solve nested exponents, you can use the exponent rules, such as the power of a power rule and the power of a product rule. It is also helpful to break down the nested exponents into smaller, more manageable steps.

4. What are some tips for simplifying nested exponents?

One tip for simplifying nested exponents is to use the order of operations and solve the innermost exponent first before moving on to the outer exponents. It can also be helpful to rewrite the nested exponents as a single exponent with a base and a larger power.

5. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when solving nested exponents?

One common mistake to avoid is not properly distributing the exponent to all terms within the parentheses. It is also important to pay attention to negative exponents, which can change the outcome of the equation. Additionally, be careful when using the power of a product rule, as it is often mistakenly used as the power of a sum rule.