1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Nested Interval Proof:

1. Feb 29, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Start with the Bolzano-Weiertrass theorem and use it to construct a proof of the Nested Interval Property.
    2. Relevant equations
    Bolzano-Weiertrass: Every bounded sequence contains a convergent sub-sequence
    Nested Interval Property: Closed intervals nested inside of each other forever is non-empty.
    3. The attempt at a solution
    If we start with a bounded sequence on a closed interval and then we make it smaller we have a smaller portion of the sequence and so this smaller part must converge to something and we just keep making the interval smaller and we squeeze it down to a point, the sequence must converge to this point because it is the only point in the sequence.
    Can I just start with some interval and slowly make it approach the middle by having it increase from the right and decrease to the left till I just have enclosed one point and make it converge to this point.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 29, 2012 #2

Deveno

Science Advisor

to use B-W to prove the Nested Interval Property, you don't want to "start with a sequence". you want to start with an arbitrary family of nested closed intervals.

can you think of a way to create a bounded sequence from such a family?

if so, then you can say: by B-W, we know that....

4. Feb 29, 2012 #3
    When we start with a family of nested closed intervals, By the B-w, we know that there should be a convergent point among these family of intervals.

5. Feb 29, 2012 #4

Deveno

Science Advisor

you can only apply B-W if you have a bounded sequence. what is your bounded sequence?

6. Mar 1, 2012 #5
    Do I just say I have some generic sequence A and that it is bounded between some interval.

7. Mar 1, 2012 #6

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Since you're proving the nested intervals thing, you need to start with an arbitrary decreasing sequence of closed intervals. If you're going for a proof that involves sequences of real numbers, you will have to use the sequence of intervals to define a sequence of real numbers.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook