Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Nested interval theorem

1. Aug 29, 2012 #1
    The Nested interval theorem: If An = [an, bn] is a sequence of closed intervals such that An+1 [itex]\subseteq[/itex] An for all n [itex]\in[/itex] N, then [itex]_{n \in n}\bigcap[/itex]A = ∅.
    I think of the case where a1=a2=...=an and b1=b2=...=bn for all n, hence every set A(n+1) will be the "subset" of A(n) and the intersection is the original closed interval. So I think the theorem in my textbook have some problem. Any correction for this ?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 29, 2012 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

It should be:
    If [itex]A_n=[a_n,b_n][/itex] is a sequence of closed intervals such that [itex]A_{n+1}\subseteq A_n[/itex] for all [itex]n\in\mathbb{N}[/itex], then [itex]\bigcap_{n\in \mathbb{N}}A_n \neq \emptyset[/itex].

4. Aug 29, 2012 #3

...and not only that: it must be also that [itex]\,b_n-a_n\xrightarrow[n\to\infty]{} 0\,[/itex] , as [itex]\,A_n:=[n,\infty)\,[/itex] would contradict.

DonAntonio

5. Aug 30, 2012 #4

Bacle2

Science Advisor

Or, more generally, a collection of nested sequence of sets in a complete metric space

with diameter approaching 0 as n-->00 .

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook