Troubleshooting Nested Loops in Python: Unexpected Output Explained

In summary, the code isn't working, and the reason seems to be because nested for loops in python don't work according to my expectations. If I have some code like this:f1 = open('name_of_file1.txt', 'r')f2 = open('name_of_file2.txt', 'r')
cepheid
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
My code isn't working, and the reason seems to be because nested for loops in python don't work according to my expectations. If I have some code like this:

Code:
f1 = open('name_of_file1.txt', 'r')
f2 = open('name_of_file2.txt', 'r')

for line1 in f1:
    #stuff at this level should happen once for every line in file1. Right?
    print line1
    for line2 in f2:
            #stuff at this level should happen once for every line in file2. Right?
            print line2

My expectation for the output:

Code:
line 1 from file1
(all lines from file2 here)
line 2 from file1
line 3 from file1
et cetera

The output that I ACTUALLY get:

Code:
line 1 from file1
(all remaining lines from file1 in sequence)

Huh?

Technology news on Phys.org
It looks like when the program tries to print the lines from file2 the second time, it's still "stuck" at the end of file2 from the first time.

Try opening file2 inside the outer loop right before you start to read lines from it. Then close it after the inner loop (but before the outer loop ends).

Ohh, okay. I will try that, thanks.

cepheid said:
#stuff at this level should happen once for every line in file2. Right?
Wrong.

Python can't read your mind. How is it to know that you want file2 rewound?

Issue a file2.seek(0) command before the start of your inner loop to rewind the file to the start. Unlike jtbell's suggestion, you only need one open command for file2 if you rewind via seek(). Opens are expensive. Seeks are relatively cheap.

D H said:
Wrong.

Python can't read your mind. How is it to know that you want file2 rewound?

Issue a file2.seek(0) command before the start of your inner loop to rewind the file to the start. Unlike jtbell's suggestion, you only need one open command for file2 if you rewind via seek(). Opens are expensive. Seeks are relatively cheap.

Got it. And yes, this turned out to be the story. Thanks to both of you for the help.

D H said:
Issue a file2.seek(0) command before the start of your inner loop to rewind the file to the start.

Yes, that's better than my idea. I didn't know whether python had some sort of "rewind" operation, so I played it safe with the close / (re)open trick.

Same here - problem was obvious, I just wasn't sure how to implement it in Python other than by close/save. But JT was faster :smile:

I would do something like this:
Code:
[color=#408080][i]#!/usr/bin/env python2[/i][/color]
[color=#408080][i]# -*- coding: utf-8 -*-[/i][/color]
[color=#008000][b]from[/b][/color] [color=#0000FF][b]__future__[/b][/color] [color=#008000][b]import[/b][/color] print_function
[color=#008000][b]from[/b][/color] [color=#0000FF][b]__future__[/b][/color] [color=#008000][b]import[/b][/color] unicode_literals

[color=#008000][b]with[/b][/color] [color=#008000]open[/color]([color=#BA2121]'file1.txt'[/color], [color=#BA2121]'r'[/color]) [color=#008000][b]as[/b][/color] f1:
    [color=#008000][b]for[/b][/color] line [color=#AA22FF][b]in[/b][/color] f1[color=#666666].[/color]readlines():
        [color=#008000][b]print[/b][/color](line)
        [color=#008000][b]with[/b][/color] [color=#008000]open[/color]([color=#BA2121]'file2.txt'[/color], [color=#BA2121]'r'[/color]) [color=#008000][b]as[/b][/color] f2:
            [color=#008000][b]for[/b][/color] line [color=#AA22FF][b]in[/b][/color] f2[color=#666666].[/color]readlines():
                [color=#008000][b]print[/b][/color](line)

1. What are nested loops in Python?

Nested loops in Python are loops inside of other loops. This means that the inner loop will repeat a certain number of times for each iteration of the outer loop. This allows for more complex and precise looping in Python.

2. How do nested loops work in Python?

Nested loops in Python work by executing the inner loop a specified number of times for each iteration of the outer loop. This means that the inner loop will repeat multiple times before the outer loop moves on to the next iteration. This process continues until the outer loop reaches its specified number of iterations.

3. What are the benefits of using nested loops in Python?

Nested loops in Python allow for more complex and precise looping capabilities. They can be used to iterate through two-dimensional data structures, such as nested lists or dictionaries. They also allow for more efficient code, as they can perform multiple operations in one go.

4. How do you write a nested loop in Python?

To write a nested loop in Python, you simply need to place one loop inside of another. This can be done using indentation to indicate which loop is the inner loop and which is the outer loop. It is important to make sure the indentation is correct to avoid any errors.

5. Can nested loops in Python be nested more than two levels deep?

Yes, nested loops in Python can be nested more than two levels deep. This means that you can have an outer loop with multiple inner loops, each one repeating a specified number of times for each iteration of the outer loop. However, it is important to carefully plan and structure your nested loops to avoid creating overly complex and inefficient code.