Nested radicals

• Thread starter 2h2o
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

I've come across this before, but for the life of me can't seem to get anywhere with it. I can plug this into technology and get an answer (and then move on...), but I want to know how to do it without.

An example problem:

[tex]4\sqrt{\sin(\pi/4)}[/tex]

I get as far as

[tex]2\sqrt{2\sqrt{2}} = 2(2(2)^\frac{1}{2})^\frac{1}{2}[/tex]

but then I run out of steam and don't see the next step. Surely it is something simple that I am missing, but I just don't see it.

Thanks for any tips. Cheers!

Answers and Replies

Char. Limit
Gold Member
I don't know what you're asking, but since [tex]2\sqrt{2}=\sqrt{8}[/tex], it equals two times the quartic root of 8...

I have [tex]\sqrt{8}[/tex] as an intermediate step in my work.

[tex]

4\sqrt{\sin(\pi/4)} = \sqrt{\frac{16\sqrt{2}}{2}} = \sqrt{8\sqrt{2}} = \sqrt{4*2\sqrt{2}} = 2\sqrt{2\sqrt{2}}

[/tex]

When I plug into technology, I get the answer:

[tex]

2*2^\frac{3}{4}

[/tex]

but I don't know how to get there. That's what I'm asking; sorry for being unclear.

Char. Limit
Gold Member
Well, yeah.

Going with my two times quartic root of 8 solution, since 8 is 2 cubed, the quartic root of 8 is 2 to the three-fourths power, and the number simplifies to your number.

Of course. Thank you very much! I definitely should've seen that! :)

Cheers.

I've come across this before, but for the life of me can't seem to get anywhere with it. I can plug this into technology and get an answer (and then move on...), but I want to know how to do it without.

An example problem:

[tex]4\sqrt{\sin(\pi/4)}[/tex]

I get as far as

[tex]2\sqrt{2\sqrt{2}} = 2(2(2)^\frac{1}{2})^\frac{1}{2}[/tex]

but then I run out of steam and don't see the next step. Surely it is something simple that I am missing, but I just don't see it.

Thanks for any tips. Cheers!
When you multiply a two numbers with the same base, the exponents add. So,

[tex] 2(2^{1}*2^{\frac{1}{2}})^{\frac{1}{2}} = 2(2^{1+\frac{1}{2}})^{\frac{1}{2}} = 2(2^{\frac{3}{2}*\frac{1}{2}}) = 2*2^{\frac{3}{4}} [/tex]