Nesting of 2-Spheres & 2-Tori in Topological Spaces

In summary, it is possible to have a topological space in which three 2-spheres A, B, C are such that B is in some sense nested inside A, C is nested inside B, but A is again nested in C. However, it is more difficult to do so in higher dimensions.
Wendel
Is it possible to have a topological space in which three 2-spheres A, B, C are such that B is in some sense nested inside A, C is nested inside B, but A is again nested in C. What about for three 2-tori in a similar manner?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Do you mean that one sphere should be inside the other like in an onion (although not touching)? What do you think?

Perhaps you could have A, B, C concentric in ℝ³ , describe another 2-sphere D outside of C, then identify all points in D with the point which is the center of sphere A?

I am sorry, but it is completely unclear to me what it is that you are trying to do. First you talked about three spheres and now you are adding another? What is your purpose?

Wendel said:
Is it possible to have a topological space in which three 2-spheres A, B, C are such that B is in some sense nested inside A, C is nested inside B, but A is again nested in C. What about for three 2-tori in a similar manner?
You can certainly have those three nested spheres and identify the points of the outer sphere with those of the inner which makes them two again. As long as we don't have to bother embeddings, there is few which cannot carry a topology.

Likes Wendel
Or rather take the ball
$$B = \{(x,y,z) \in ℝ^3 : x^2 +y^2 +z^2 ≤R^2 \} ⊆ ℝ^3$$
with R>0.
Now choose three smaller numbers ##0 ≤ r_1 ≤ r_2 ≤ r_3 < R## and consider the spheres
$$S^2_i = \{(x,y,z) \in ℝ^3 : x^2 + y^2 + z^2 = r^2_i\}, i \in \{1,2,3\}$$
Now Identify the boundary of ##B## with its center ##(0,0,0)##. I desire to create a space where the three spheres are nested and not touching, but in such a way that ##S^2_3## appears to be inside ##S^2_1## again, analogous to how three parallels on a torus would appear to a bug on the surface, withe first "inside" the second, the second inside the third, and the third again inside the first.

Wendel said:
Now Identify the boundary of ##B## with its center ##(0,0,0)##.
This is probably not what you want to do. Your outer sphere will be a single point since they are all identified with the origin. You might want to identify the outer sphere with the inner sphere. This will create a topological space similar to how, in two dimensions, taking an annulus and identifying its inner and outer boundary with each other will give you a torus. However, you should be careful with concepts such as "inside" and "outside" without giving them proper definition.

Likes Wendel and fresh_42
I think I understand now. Thank you fresh and Orodruin.

Wendel said:

What do you mean by nested , do you mean contained? In ##\mathbb R^n ## for higher n , it is easier for things like these to happen, if possible. But, yes, who knows what may happen if you embed objects in spaces like Klein bottles, Projective spaces, etc. You may want to look into intersection theory ( in even dimensions in Topology; I don't know much about the Intersection theory in Algebraic Geometry, ask @mathwonk for that) in higher dimensions, to inform you if and how embedded ( homological classes of ) objects in manifolds may intersect or avoid each other. EDIT: There are invariants like Chern classes ( defined on Homology) which describe restrictions on what can happen in your manifold. Outside of the world of manifolds things are rougher. Maybe you can look into Geometric Measure Theory for non-manifolds..

Likes Wendel

What is nesting of 2-spheres and 2-tori in topological spaces?

Nesting of 2-spheres and 2-tori in topological spaces is a concept in topology that involves embedding 2-dimensional shapes (spheres and tori) in a larger space in a way that preserves their topological properties. This means that the shapes can be continuously deformed into each other without tearing or gluing.

What is the significance of studying nesting of 2-spheres and 2-tori in topological spaces?

Studying nesting of 2-spheres and 2-tori in topological spaces has applications in many areas of mathematics and science, such as in knot theory, differential geometry, and physics. It also helps in understanding the structure and properties of higher dimensional spaces.

What are some examples of topological spaces where nesting of 2-spheres and 2-tori can occur?

Some examples of topological spaces where nesting of 2-spheres and 2-tori can occur include Euclidean spaces, manifolds, and surfaces. These spaces can also have various topological properties, such as being compact, simply connected, or orientable.

How can nesting of 2-spheres and 2-tori be visualized?

Nesting of 2-spheres and 2-tori can be visualized using topological diagrams or models. For example, a 2-sphere can be represented by a circle, while a 2-torus can be represented by a doughnut shape. These shapes can then be embedded in a larger space, such as a 3-dimensional space, to show their nesting relationship.

What are some open problems or current research topics related to nesting of 2-spheres and 2-tori in topological spaces?

Some open problems and current research topics related to nesting of 2-spheres and 2-tori include understanding the embedding of higher dimensional shapes in topological spaces, studying the properties of non-orientable spaces, and exploring the connections between nesting and other topological concepts such as homotopy and homology.