What is the difference between nested and crossed designs in data analysis?

• Thread starter libragirl79
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the mechanics of crossed and nested models with fixed and random effects. The individual is having trouble identifying if data is crossed or nested and asks for tips on how to distinguish between the two. A suggestion is made to ask about a specific example, and it is explained that nested categories can only occur within another category while crossed categories can occur in arbitrary combinations with other categories. It is also noted that it may not make sense to classify a single category as "nested" or "crossed" without specifying what it is nested or crossed with.
libragirl79
Hi,

I understand the mechanics of the crossed/nested models with fixed/random effects. What I am having trouble with is initially looking at data description and identifying if it's crossed or nested. Does anyone have a good way of going about this, some points on how to distinguish between these two?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
You'd get better adivce if you asked about a specific example.

Glancing at sources on the web, the general scenario is that you have established several categories and each category can have various possible values ( discrete or continuous).

So an individual datum is a set of (category, value) information, such as

(datumID, 234) (state, VA) (city, Charlottesville) (age, 23) (sex, F)

If a given category can only occur within another category then those categories are "nested" with respect to each other. For example, (city,Charlotesville) (meaning the one particular city that I have in mind, not just the name) can only occur in combination with (state,VA). It wouldn't occur with (state,NM). Categories that can occur in arbitrary combinations with another categories are "crossed" with respect to each other. For example (sex,...) can occur with any given (age,...).

I see how to classify two categories as "nested" or "crossed" with respect to each other. I don't know if it makes sense to say that a single category is "crossed" or "nested" without saying "with respect to" something else.

1. What is the main difference between nested and crossed designs?

Nested designs involve one factor nested within another, while crossed designs involve two or more factors that are crossed with each other.

2. Which type of design is more commonly used in scientific research?

Crossed designs are more commonly used in scientific research because they allow for the examination of multiple factors and their interactions.

3. What are the advantages of using nested designs?

Nested designs are more efficient in terms of sample size and statistical power, especially when the nested factor has a small number of levels.

4. How do you determine which type of design to use?

The choice between nested and crossed designs depends on the research question and the nature of the factors being studied. Crossed designs are more suitable when examining the effects of multiple factors, while nested designs are more appropriate for studying hierarchical relationships.

5. Can nested and crossed designs be used together in a single study?

Yes, nested and crossed designs can be combined in a study to investigate both hierarchical and interactive effects. This is known as a mixed design.