Net acceleration = gsin(theta) = 9.8sin10 = 0.98m/s/s

In summary, the problem at hand is finding the net acceleration of a baseball being thrown at an angle of 10 degrees with a force of 300N and a mass of 2kg. The relevant equations are Fdrag = bv, net acceleration = gsin(theta), and sum of all forces = mg-ma. The person is looking for guidance on how to use these equations to solve the problem.
jeseravi

Homework Statement

I am having some trouble finding out exactly how I could find net acceleration.
I know how to use it for finding force of drag, and other formulas, but for a project I need to actually find the net acceleration of me throwing a baseball.
This is a sample problem, that I need to know how to solve, and I'll use the 'method' to solve for my actual project:

Angle from horizontal (theta): 10degrees
Force of throw: 300N
Mass of ball: 2kg

Homework Equations

Fdrag = bv
Net acceleration = gsin(theta)
Sum of all forces = mg-ma

The Attempt at a Solution

I know how to find the force of drag, which is ultimately what I need...
(assuming I actually know net accleration is 5m/s/s)
Fdrag = 4.8N

But I want to know how to find net acceleration.

Physics news on Phys.org
I know that the sum of all forces = mg-ma, but I'm not sure what to do with it. Any help is appreciated!

I can provide you with a response to your question. First, let's define net acceleration. Net acceleration is the overall acceleration of an object, taking into account all the forces acting on it. In this case, we can use the equation: net acceleration = sum of all forces / mass of the object. So for your problem, we can calculate the net acceleration by first finding the sum of all forces acting on the ball.

Using the given information, we can calculate the force of gravity (mg) acting on the ball:
Fgravity = (mass of ball) x (acceleration due to gravity)
Fgravity = (2kg) x (9.8m/s^2) = 19.6N

Next, we can calculate the force of the throw (300N) and the force of drag (4.8N) separately.

Finally, we can calculate the net acceleration by plugging in these values into our equation:
Net acceleration = (sum of all forces) / (mass of ball)
Net acceleration = (300N + 4.8N - 19.6N) / 2kg
Net acceleration = 142.2N / 2kg = 71.1m/s^2

So, the net acceleration of the ball when thrown at an angle of 10 degrees with a force of 300N is 71.1m/s^2. Keep in mind that this is the overall acceleration of the ball, taking into account the force of gravity, the force of the throw, and the force of drag.

I hope this helps you with your project and understanding how to calculate net acceleration. Remember to always consider all the forces acting on an object to find its net acceleration.

1. What is the meaning of "Net acceleration = gsin(theta) = 9.8sin10 = 0.98m/s/s"?

Net acceleration refers to the overall acceleration experienced by an object in a particular direction, taking into account all the forces acting on the object. In this equation, "gsin(theta)" represents the acceleration due to gravity in the direction of the inclined plane, and "9.8sin10" represents the numerical value of this acceleration in meters per second squared. Therefore, "Net acceleration = gsin(theta) = 9.8sin10 = 0.98m/s/s" means that the net acceleration in the direction of the inclined plane is 0.98 meters per second squared.

2. How is the value of "gsin(theta)" calculated in this equation?

The value of "gsin(theta)" is calculated by multiplying the acceleration due to gravity (represented by "g") by the sine of the angle of inclination (represented by "sin(theta)"). This equation assumes a standard value of 9.8 meters per second squared for the acceleration due to gravity. In this case, the angle of inclination is 10 degrees, so the value of "gsin(theta)" is 9.8 x sin(10) = 9.8 x 0.174 = 1.706.

3. Why is "gsin(theta)" used instead of just "g" in this equation?

"gsin(theta)" is used in this equation because the object is not moving directly in the direction of gravity. It is moving along an inclined plane, so the acceleration due to gravity needs to be adjusted to account for the angle of inclination. Using "gsin(theta)" takes into account the component of gravity that is acting in the direction of the inclined plane, rather than the full acceleration due to gravity which would be represented by just "g".

4. What is the significance of the unit "m/s/s" in this equation?

The unit "m/s/s" represents meters per second squared, which is the standard unit for acceleration. It is used to denote the change in velocity over time, or how quickly the velocity of an object is changing. In this equation, it represents the net acceleration experienced by an object in the direction of the inclined plane.

5. Can "Net acceleration = gsin(theta) = 9.8sin10 = 0.98m/s/s" be applied to any inclined plane?

Yes, this equation can be applied to any inclined plane, as long as the angle of inclination and acceleration due to gravity remain constant. However, if either of these values change, the net acceleration would also change and the equation would need to be adjusted accordingly.