Find Net Charge on Sphere: Radius & Electric Fields

In summary, the problem involves three concentric spheres: an insulator with a radius of 0.04 m, a dielectric material with a radius of 0.21 m, and a conductor with a radius of 0.28 m. The electric field is measured at two points, 11 cm and 63 cm from the center, and the values are 2420 N/C radially inward and 130 N/C radially outward, respectively. Using Gauss' law, the total charge on the insulating sphere can be found by multiplying the electric field at r = 0.11 m by 4πR_g^2 and the electric permittivity of free space, which is 8.85 x
Punchlinegirl
Suppose that a=4 cm, b=21 cm, and c=28 cm. Furthermore, suppose that the electric field at a point 11 cm from the center is measured to be 2420 N/C radially inward while the electric field at a point 63 cm from the center is 130 N/C radially outward. Find the charge on the insulating sphere.
I'm sorry I can't post the picture, but it is an insulator with a radius 4 cm, that is inside of another sphere with a radius of 21 cm measured from the center, which is inside of a conductor with a radius of 28 cm measured from the center.
We did part of this problem in class and found that the [tex]Q_e_n_c = E_1 *4\pi* R_g^2 *E_0. [/tex]
I'm pretty sure that E_1 = 2420 N/C and E_0= 8.85 x 10^-12, but I'm a little confused about which radius to use. I thought it would be the radius of the insulator which is .04 m, but this wasn't right. Can someone please help?

Physics news on Phys.org
OK, one has 3 concentric spheres. The innermost sphere is an insulator (i.e. does not conduct, or at least not very well) which is ostensibly solid of radius 0.04 m, the outermost spherical shell of inner/outer radii of 0.21/0.28 m respectively, and a middle spherical shell of inner/outer radii of 0.04/0.21 m respectively, which is likely a dielectric material (i.e. not an insulator or conductor).

E_0= 8.85 x 10^-12 C2/N-m2 is just the electric permittivity of free space. It is important to realize the units. I prefer using [itex]\epsilon_o[/itex].

Ok I see that, but I'm a little confused about which radius to use for the question. it wants the charge on the insulating sphere. Would I just use the radius of the insulator which is .04 m?

You are given the field at r = 0.11 m. The equation you are using, which is from Gauss' law, will allow you to find the total charge contained within that radius. (And the only thing within that radius with any charge is the insulator, if I understand the problem correctly.)

Last edited:
thank you very much.. i get it now

1. How do I calculate the net charge on a sphere?

The net charge on a sphere can be calculated by finding the sum of all positive and negative charges present on the sphere. This can be done by using the formulas Q = n*e (where Q is the total charge, n is the number of charges, and e is the charge of a single particle) or Q = ∑q_i (where Q is the total charge and q_i is the charge of each individual particle).

2. What is the relationship between radius and net charge on a sphere?

The net charge on a sphere is directly proportional to the radius of the sphere. This means that as the radius increases, the net charge also increases, and vice versa. This relationship can be expressed by the formula Q ∝ r, where Q is the net charge and r is the radius.

3. Can I find the net charge on a sphere using electric fields?

Yes, the net charge on a sphere can be calculated using electric fields. This can be done by measuring the electric field strength at different points on the surface of the sphere and using the formula Q = 4πε_0 * r^2 * E (where Q is the net charge, ε_0 is the permittivity of free space, r is the radius, and E is the electric field strength).

4. How does the net charge on a sphere affect its behavior in an electric field?

The net charge on a sphere determines how the sphere will behave in an electric field. A positively charged sphere will experience a repulsive force in an electric field, while a negatively charged sphere will experience an attractive force. A neutral sphere will not experience any force in an electric field.

5. Can the net charge on a sphere change over time?

Yes, the net charge on a sphere can change over time if there is a transfer of charges onto or off of the sphere. This can happen through various processes such as conduction, induction, or friction. The net charge on a sphere can also change if it is exposed to different electric fields.