How Do You Determine Net Charge Through a Wire Over Time?

In summary, the figure below shows plots of current i through a certain cross section of a wire over four different time periods. The periods should be ranked from greatest to least based on the net charge that passes through the cross section during the period, using the symbols > or =. To find the net charge, integrate current over time. This is a relatively simple problem.
snoggerT
The figure below shows plots of the current i through a certain cross section of a wire over four different time periods. Rank the periods according to the net charge that passes through the cross section during the period, greatest first. (Use only the symbols > or =, for example a>b=c>d.)
hrw7_26-16.gif

i=dq/dt

The Attempt at a Solution

- I'm really not sure how to start this problem. I tried taking the charge and dividing it by the time for each one, but that didn't work. Would you have to do the integrals for them? Seems like this should be a very simple problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
Sure. Integrate current over time. That's charge.

1. What is net charge?

Net charge refers to the overall charge of an object or system, taking into account the balance of positive and negative charges present.

2. How is net charge calculated through a wire?

To calculate the net charge through a wire, you would need to know the amount of charge passing through a specific point in the wire over a certain period of time. This can be calculated using the equation Q = I x t, where Q is the net charge, I is the current, and t is the time.

3. What is the difference between net charge and electric current?

Net charge is the overall charge of an object or system, while electric current refers to the flow of charge through a specific point in a circuit or wire. Net charge takes into account the total amount of charge present, while electric current measures the rate of flow of that charge.

4. What factors can affect the net charge through a wire?

The net charge through a wire can be affected by the amount of current flowing through the wire, the duration of time the current is flowing, and any external factors such as temperature or resistance in the wire.

5. Why is it important to understand net charge through a wire?

Understanding net charge through a wire is important in various fields of science and technology, such as electricity and electronics. It allows us to accurately measure and control the flow of charge through a circuit, which is essential for the functioning of many devices and systems.