Calculating Net Charge of a Charge Distribution

In summary, the conversation revolves around questions and confusion regarding electric fields, charge distributions, and dipole moments. The main questions include determining the net charge of a distribution based on electric field strength, calculating the electric field strength for a thin rod with uniform charge distribution, and finding the line charge density on a long wire. There is also discussion about the functionality of a specific apparatus and the dipole moment of water molecules. Answers and explanations are provided by other users, including references to relevant equations and concepts.
MathewsMD
Question:
You’re 1.5 m from a charge distribution whose size is much less than 1 m. You measure an electric field strength of 282 N/C. You move to a distance of 2.0 m, and the field strength becomes 119 N/C. What’s the net charge of the distribution? (Hint: Don’t try to calculate the charge. Determine instead how the field decreases with distance, and from that infer the charge.)

I found another similar thread that was closed, and I still had questions.
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=342378

In terms of finding the net charge, I am slightly confused on how to proceed if it's unnecessary to calculate the charge itself. I have tried, though, and am not getting the correct solution. The answer is 0 from my textbook if anyone is interested, but I can't seem to come up with any mathematical explanation for the answer. From the linked thread, the last person comments on monopoles, dipoles, etc. I don't quite understand how that would allow us to determine the exact net charge given the data from the question. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Also, another question on the same topic:

A thin rod lies on the x-axis between x = 0 and x = L and carries total charge Q distributed uniformly over its length. Show that the electric field strength for x > L is given by ## ε = \frac {kQ}{x(x - L)}##

I've done:

## ε = \int_0^Q \frac {k}{(L-x)^2} dq ##
##ε = \frac {k}{(L-x)^2} \int_0^Q dq ##
##ε = \frac {kQ}{(L-x)^2} ##

As you can see this is incorrect. It doesn't seem like an overly difficult problem but I am missing a step somewhere...any guidance on this question would be great too!

Also, for the image attached, why would the apparatus not work? Although they all have q/m = a and this will be the only distinguishing factor, since m varies for isotopes, shouldn't it work? It would have to be very precise but I don't quite see why this machine would be dysfunctional.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-01-18 at 4.57.51 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-01-18 at 4.57.51 PM.png
    14.9 KB · Views: 566
Sorry for filling this thread with questions. They are all on the same topic of electric fields and I didn't want to start multiple others.

On this problem, I am only an order of magnitude away but can't seem to figure out why...

Find the line charge density on a long wire if a 6.8-μg particle
carrying 2.1 nC describes a circular orbit about the wire with speed 280 m/s.

## ε = \frac {2kλ}{r}## and ##F = qε = \frac {mv^2}{r}##
## \frac {2kλq}{r} = \frac {mv^2}{r}##
##2kλq = mv^2##
##λ = \frac {mv^2}{2kq}##

I simplified this and calculated my answer as 1.41 x 10-3 C/m but the answer is -14 μC/m. I understand it must be negative since it is attractive and I did not include that in my vector for r, but why is the order go magnitude different?

A dipole has a net charge of zero. A dipole field falls off according to the relationship r-3. If you can show from the data you're given that the field follows this relationship, you can conclude that it is a dipole, and therefore conclude that the net charge is zero.

For the other one, I wouldn't integrate with respect to the charge. I would integrate with respect to x.

As for your confusion on the centripetal force question, notice that 6.8 micrograms is 6.8 E-9 kilograms, not 6.8E-6 kilograms.

Thank you for the help with the questions! I'm still doing the integration question but I understood the other 2 now.

I keep getting more questions...

We haven't really discussed structures with more than 2 constituents, so for water, does the dipole moment for each individual O-H bond equal qd still or is it assess differently. Either way, does this question still refer to the fact that ##ε ~ \frac {1}{r^3}##...I've been assessing the relationship but don't find anything meaningful...the answer is 0.4e, 0.03 e but I'm not sure why...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-01-18 at 5.28.47 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-01-18 at 5.28.47 PM.png
    12.2 KB · Views: 555
The yahoo answer is incorrect.

Notice how it gives the energy that it would take to "reverse the orientation". To go from the lowest potential energy to the highest potential energy, you have ΔU=pE-(-pE).
Check out this wikipedia page - specifically, the section on torque on a dipole. Strictly speaking U is related to the dipole and the electric field by a dot product. The yahoo answer is oversimplistic, like usual. :wink:

harts said:
The yahoo answer is incorrect.

Notice how it gives the energy that it would take to "reverse the orientation". To go from the lowest potential energy to the highest potential energy, you have ΔU=pE-(-pE).
Check out this wikipedia page - specifically, the section on torque on a dipole. Strictly speaking U is related to the dipole and the electric field by a dot product. The yahoo answer is oversimplistic, like usual. :wink:

Aha thank you!

For some reason, I decided to consider the initial as 0...:)

Still having some trouble with the other qs...

Thread closed for Moderation...

1. How do you calculate the net charge of a charge distribution?

The net charge of a charge distribution is calculated by adding up all of the individual charges within the distribution. If the charges are positive, they are added together. If the charges are negative, they are subtracted. The resulting number is the net charge of the distribution.

2. What units are used to measure net charge?

The units used to measure net charge are coulombs (C). This is the unit of electric charge in the International System of Units (SI).

3. Can the net charge of a charge distribution be negative?

Yes, the net charge of a charge distribution can be negative if there are more negative charges than positive charges within the distribution. This indicates an overall excess of electrons in the distribution.

4. How does the distance between charges affect the net charge of a distribution?

The distance between charges does not directly affect the net charge of a distribution. However, it can affect the strength of the electric field and the resulting forces between the charges in the distribution.

5. Can the net charge of a distribution be calculated using calculus?

Yes, the net charge of a distribution can be calculated using calculus if the distribution is continuous and can be described by a mathematical function. In this case, the net charge is found by integrating the charge density function over the given domain.