1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Net displacement

1. Sep 16, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I'm have a hard time figuring out how to do this problem:
    A sailboat tacking against the wind moves as follows: 3.8 km at 45° east of north, 4.5 km at 55° west of north, 2 km at 45° east of north. What is the net displacement for the entire motion? How many degrees east of north is the sailboat?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I thought that to find the net displacement you had to simply add the vectors:
    3.8+4.5+2=10.3 However, this is not right and I don't understand how else to solve the problem.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 16, 2014 #2

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Adding the vectors is exactly what you are supposed to do, but it's not what you did. You just added the individual magnitudes. You need to draw a diagram of what the boat is doing and go from there.

4. Sep 16, 2014 #3
    I did draw the picture but I'm not sure what to do with the picture.

5. Sep 17, 2014 #4

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Well, see, the thing is, even the best minds here are not mind READERS, so if you don't post it there's not going to be much we can do to help you.

6. Sep 17, 2014 #5

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You calculated the distance sailed not the net displacement. Do you understand the difference?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted