Net electric field of a charged arc

In summary, the conversation is about finding the net electric field at the origin due to arcs. The formula for net electric field is given as Enet=λ1(2sin45°)/(4πε0r1)+λ2(2sin45°)/(4πε0r2)+λ3(2sin45°)/(4πε0r3). The factor of 2sin(45o) comes from the integral used to derive the net electric field. The speaker is having trouble setting up the integral and requests assistance.
Jrlinton

Homework Statement

So this was a problem worked in class by the professor in class.
Find the net electric field at the origin due to the arcs
upload_2017-2-17_14-44-14.png

Homework Equations

L=2πr/4
λ=q/L
E=kQ/r2

The Attempt at a Solution

So the professor gave the answer using the fromula
Enet1(2sin45°)/(4πε0r1)+λ2(2sin45°)/(4πε0r2)+λ3(2sin45°)/(4πε0r3)

I can understand the formula except for where the 2sin45° comes from. I mean the arc is a quarter circle of 90° in the second quadrant but I am unsure where this term comes from and how it would change if the parameters of the problem were to change.

Physics news on Phys.org
See if this diagram helps
upload_2017-2-17_15-10-28.png

So if U am understanding this correctly then it is the added sine values of the two angles created when drawing the vector for the field?

Jrlinton said:
So if U am understanding this correctly then it is the added sine values of the two angles created when drawing the vector for the field?
I'm not following what you are saying here. In order to see why there is a factor of 2sin(45o) in the answer, you need to go through the derivation. This means setting up and evaluating the integral for the net electric field. Are you having trouble setting up the integral?

Yes, I am having trouble coming up with the integral.

Jrlinton said:
Yes, I am having trouble coming up with the integral.
OK. Show us your attempt at setting up the integral and we can go from there. It helps to first consider the direction of the net electric field.

1. What is a charged arc?

A charged arc refers to a curved section of a conductor that has an excess or deficit of electrons, resulting in an overall electric charge.

2. How is the net electric field of a charged arc calculated?

The net electric field of a charged arc can be calculated by summing up the individual electric fields of each point on the arc, taking into account the direction and magnitude of each field.

3. What factors affect the net electric field of a charged arc?

The net electric field of a charged arc is affected by the distance between the arc and the point of observation, the length and curvature of the arc, and the distribution of charge along the arc.

4. What is the direction of the net electric field of a charged arc?

The direction of the net electric field of a charged arc depends on the relative positions of the arc and the point of observation. If the point is outside the arc, the field will point away from the arc. If the point is inside the arc, the field will point towards the arc.

5. How is the net electric field of a charged arc affected by the shape of the conductor?

The shape of the conductor can significantly affect the net electric field of a charged arc. The curvature, length, and position of the arc can impact the distribution of charge and therefore the overall electric field. A sharp or pointed arc will have a stronger electric field than a smooth or rounded arc.